What is the name of this Civil Rights movie?

Its about an old Black women that lived in the times of slavery all the way up to where there were white and colored water fountains. The movie tells the story of her life and ends with her being over a 100 years old and her walking up to the white water fountain and taking a drink from it and then she walks away and no white person does anything to her, they let her because she is sooooo old and is respected. The movie was made... i think in the 80's. I haven't seen it since i was a little girl I'm 32 now. If anyone knows the name of this movie i would appreciate a response. I would love to see this movie again if only i had the name. Thanks in advance

Favorite Answer

The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (1974 TV movie)

starring Cicely Tyson, Eric Brown, Richard Dysart, Joel Fluellen, Katherine Helmond, Michael Murphy, Thalmus Rasulala, Odetta, Collin Wilcox-Horne (aka Wilcox Paxton)

IMDb synopsis:

In February 1962, as the Civil Rights movement reaches Bayonne, Louisiana, a New York journalist arrives to interview Jane Pittman, who has just turned 110. She tells him her story dating back to her earliest memories before slavery ended, a long walk toward freedom, marriage to Joe Pittman, her adopted son Ned's work as an educator, helping to raise Jimmy, who returns as a civil rights worker, and her own decision to become involved in contemporary issues. In between the chapters of her life, the present-day struggles of Blacks in Bayonne, urged on by Jimmy, are dramatized.

Here's Part 1 on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWayDYsF1I

Youtube thumbnail

This was a HUGE TV event back in the Seventies, and I imagine that it hauled in a big audience. Cicely Tyson was popular mainly because of her lead role in "Sounder" opposite Paul Winfield. Everyone I knew had watched it and also had a copy of the novel by Ernest J. Gaines.