? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

New term about pregnancy/abortion. Don't quite understand it. please help?

Dismemberment abortion?

1)When did people start doing this?

2) What is it exactly? and how is it done?

3) Is it really safer than coat hanger abortion?

4)Has it killed people?

5)Where did people put the fetus when they were done?

P.S. I'm NOT looking this up to do this. So please don't start being rude saying i shouldn't do it because not once did i say up there that i wanted to do this. I am just curious about it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Though the procedure has had a low rate of usage, representing 0.17% (2,232 of 1,313,000) of all abortions in the United States in the year 2000, according to voluntary responses to an Alan Guttmacher Institute survey,[2] it has developed into a focal point of the abortion debate. In the United States, intact dilation and extraction was made illegal in most circumstances by the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, which the U.S. Supreme Court upheld in the case of Gonzales v. Carhart.

IDX, along with dilation and evacuation (D&E), early induction of labor, and rare procedures such as saline abortion, are only used in the late stages of pregnancy. Late-term abortions at 21 weeks or later account for 1.4% of all abortions in the USA.[10] Intact D&X procedures are used in approximately 15% of those late-term abortion cases. This is the equivalent of between 2,500 and 3,000 per year, using data from the Alan Guttmacher Institute for the year 2000. They are typically performed between the twentieth and twenty-fourth week of pregnancy.[11]

Women choose to have late-term abortions for a variety of reasons. Once a pregnant woman has made the decision to have a late-term abortion, she or a doctor may choose IDX over other available late-term abortion procedures because:

* Although a woman may experience contractions, she does not have to experience labor.[12]

* IDX is an outpatient procedure; the woman does not have to be hospitalized.[12]

* The woman does not have to undergo abdominal surgery.[13]

* The procedure results in a largely intact body over which the parents may grieve.[14]

* Instruments are inserted into the uterus fewer times than in a D&E abortion, potentially reducing the risk of uterine tearing.[15]

* The fetus may have hydrocephalus, where the head may expand to a radius of up to 250% of a normal skull at birth, making it impossible for it to pass through the cervix. If live birth is desired, the physician may drain the excess fluid in utero using a syringe,[16] or a caesarian section may be done as soon as amniocentesis indicates lung maturity.[17] If abortion is desired, D&X may be the simplest procedure.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intact_dilation_and_e...

~Pro-Choice Momma; Have had an abortion <no regrets> and I have a 17 month old daughter <no regrets>. I believe in protecting my daughter's choice.

Abortion: There is a Consensus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSQiazUvgo

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 decade ago

That's also known as a Dilation and Evacuation abortion - and is aka late term abortion

They basically dismember the fetus in utero then use suction to remove it

Yes its def. safe than a coat hanger - its been done now for years

• 4 years ago

Grand previous social gathering (republican social gathering) The starting place Of "GOP" a favorite of headline writers, GOP dates again to the 1870s and '80s. The abbreviation develop into talked about in a style ny herald tale on October 15, 1884; "' The G.O.P. Doomed,' shouted the Boston placed up.... The Grand previous social gathering is in situation to inquire...." yet what GOP stands for has replaced with the circumstances. In 1875 there develop right into a citation contained in the Congressional list concerning "this gallant previous social gathering," and , in accordance to Harper's Weekly, contained in the Cincinnati advertisement in 1876 to "Grand previous social gathering." possibly using "the G.O.M." for Britain's properly Minister William E. Gladstone in 1882 as " the Grand previous guy" inspired using GOP contained in the U. S. quickly after. In early motorized vehicle days, GOP took on the time period "get out and push." in the course of the 1964 presidential campaign, "bypass-social gathering" develop into used instantly, and through the Nixon administration, conventional references to the "technology of peace" had chuffed overtones. in accordance to strikes contained in the '70s to modernize the social gathering, Republican leaders took to with regard to the "grand previous social gathering," harkening again to a 1971 speech via President Nixon on the dedication of the Eisenhower Republican middle in Washington, D.C. certainly, the "grand previous social gathering" is an ironic time period, because the Democrat social gathering develop into prepared some 22 years earlier in 1832.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.