?
? asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

How to teach English as a foreign language?

I've been offered a job for a week this summer teaching a 12 year old Spanish child English. He/she is an exchange student staying with my neighbors. Apparently I won't have to speak any Spanish. And that's all I know about it. So my question is, how should I go about it? Are there any sites out there that can give me tips? How would you do it?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

TPR stands for Total Physical Response, Total Physical Response. It’s a teaching method that works especially well with beginners. It’s a great, great method for teaching beginners. In fact, if I ever develop English lessons for beginners I will use TPR to teach beginning English because it is a very, very powerful method. In TPR students learn a language, not from translation, not by sitting passively in a chair, but through movement. They learn the basic core of the language with movement.

How does this work. Well, for example, pretend that I have a class and it’s a beginning class. Zero English, right? Everyone in the class has zero English. They don’t know anything, not one word of English. Well how would I teach them? What’s the best way to teach them? Well, normally, in a normal class, they would be taught with translation, right.

The teacher would say, for example, if they want to teach the word stand, stand up, well they would write stand up on the board and then they would translate that phrase into their native language.

So if imagine, let’s say, in Japan, so we have Japanese students. The Japanese teacher – the teacher in Japan – would write stand up on the board and then the teacher would translate that into Japanese and that’s how the students would learn the word or the phrase stand up. They would learn it by translation. They would write in their notebook and then they would try to memorize it again and again. Stand up equals this, stand up equals this, translation, translation, memorize, memorize.

Well that is purely mental, right? They’re just sitting in their chair, there’s nothing happening with their body, it’s just a mental exercise. Yes, they do eventually learn the phrase stand up, but they don’t learn it deeply. And that’s why most Japanese students, for example, cannot speak English very well and they don’t understand spoken English very well.

Written English is different because written English is more of a mental process, you can go slowly if you need to. But spoken English requires fast, instant understanding and you really need to learn it in your body. It needs to go deep into your mind and body if you’re going to understand and speak fast at native speeds.

Source(s): Body and Mind Commentary: https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?ii=128845&c=i...

There are 2 things you need to know: what level the student is (beginner, advanced, etc) and what they need to know. Being a 12 year old I suspect this latter will be general English, but then ask yourself what a 12 year old is interested in: music, fashion, tv, films, etc. (This is called Needs Analysis by the way and it's essential before you start teaching.)

Now decide on a course for the student. Maybe you'll use a book. But what happens is that in each lesson you'll present some new language item to the child, then you'll practice it with them, and then practice some more.

So perhaps you'll take in a song, you'll discuss it with them beforehand, then play parts of it, then go through it with them after.