Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What can I use as a substitute for cumin?

I'm making a chile rub for pork chops I'm making later on today. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of cumin but I don't have any. Is there anything I can use as a substitute or should I just leave it out of the recipe?

Favorite Answer

Cumin is just the ground seed of what we also call cilantro. Cumin though has a different flavor than cilantro. You could just leave it out but, you might be better off just going to the store and buying some as it is used a lot in chili - and other Mexican - Cajun recipes. The recipe for chili powder often contains cumin. Coriander is also used sometimes in chili as well, but if you use whole or crushed seeds you will end up with hulls interrupting your dining experience.

You can substitute either chili powder or coriander. The chili powder is closer to cumin in most recipes. Coriander is very close to cilantro. It is used in Chinese and Mexican dishes.