Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Do you honestly believe atheists deserve eternity in hell?

This is a personal question for every single person that reads this question.

Do you honestly believe atheists deserve eternity in the lake of fire for disbelief? Especially if they lived a good life helping people and were completely selfless?

Do atheists actually deserve an eternity of torment for one life time of mistakes? How can someone that will only live 70 years deserve an eternity of hell for a life time of one decision?

Best Answer

I thought you said there is no hell.

At one time my mother believed "This is HELL, and we all die and go to heaven". The problem is we do not get to decide what is heaven and hell. We are not the authors; we did not come up with the concept. If I decided to walk out in front of the bus and take my own life instead of living it out according to God's plan or some semblance thereof. Who am I going to blame...well no one I will be dead. Will you blame or critique someone? God? Walking in front of the bus was my choice. So is happiness. Happiness is a state of mind. God says here I am. My yoke is easy. Cast off your burden and we say no. God made us with choice so that we could have a relationship with him. I did the same thing by having children...well I hope to have a relationship with them. I will make it as easy as possible and help them in any way I can if they will let me. We copy God: he is the same way, but we; his creation have the same choice. If you decide that you do not want to accept the gifts from God then that is your choice. I think anyone would find you foolish, ignorant; having hurts,and hangups that hinder you from making a sane decision once you knew the decision to be made. Now the choice is yours and please stop thinking that the parent/God is wrong because you decided against their gift and went it on your own or went with the other rebellious and accept their reward. It was your Choice; no one to blame or praise but yourself and the giver.

It doesn't matter what I believe, I'm not the one who made the rules.

I believe in addition to everything else hell is the absence of hope. So, even if an atheist was sentenced to a trillion years, there would still be hope. What would happen to them, where would they go? To permit them to stop existing is what they have always wanted.

They would never be happy in heaven and I doubt if they would want to worship God and spend eternity with Christians. So, what's left?

• Rick

Hell is not eternal, God's law limits justice to an eye for an eye.

• Simple disbelief is nothing against the thing not being believed in. Sending them to a place of eternal torment is the worst thing someone could do to someone and they certainly wouldn't deserve that. They just haven't seen anything that would show them it exists. It is not saying "I don't like you", it is saying "Where are you?" Yet this God thinks it deserves eternal punishment.

Here are supporting passages that say something bad will happen to you if you don't believe. Also that God will intentionally do it himself onto you. That he is the one that will send them there, not the devil. They also say "whosoever" which clearly means everyone:

John 3:36, John 3:16, John 3:18, John 3:3, Mark 16:16, John 5:24, Acts 16:31, 1 John 5:13, 2 Chronicles 15:13

Bible passages that describe an eternal Hell: (Daniel 12:2-3, Matthew 13:41-42, Matthew 18:8-9, Matthew 22:13, Matthew 25:41, 46, Mark 9:43-48, Luke 16:22-24, John 5:28-29, 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9, Revelation 14:10-11, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 20:14-15)

I'm not sure why one would want to worship a God like that, except out of terror or being forced to. I don't see how that is worthy of worship in any case.

People don't choose disbelief. You can't have belief honest belief without knowledge. Someone could pretend something is true but that will not make it true. Those who honestly look for the truth do not choose to believe in anything. If I'm not believing in something its because I haven't seen any evidence that would show me that it exists. I don't believe in leprechauns because there isn't any evidence of their existence. If an apple is in front of me, I can choose whether or not to believe in the apple if I wanted to, but whether I do or not; it still will exist, laying in front of me.

To say "Any evil thing can be forgiven if you are really sorry, but if you call me names, or say you don't believe in me then your gonna have to burn in hell forever even if you were sorry after wards." is an incredibly insecure thing for someone to say, particularly for an omnipotent being. Not to mention incredibly selfish and cruel.

Movie stars and politicians have more ability to roll off insults than than this supposed all powerful being. Kids who say "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" are more mature than this supposed God. That is just not the behavior of something that has the ability to create the universe.

There is no point in letting a being be tortured forever just for doing that, especially if they were sorry after wards. A punishment is for intending to help someone turn from their ways. Torturing them forever is not a punishment, its just plain cruelty. What would be the point other than sadism?

Yes, my 250+ hours of volunteer service mean nothing because I am an atheist! Throw me in the fire!

I don't really care. If such a place really exists, all the cool people will be there, including myself. I cant wait to light my first fart on fire.

• Katie

I *personally* don't believe that anyone does.

But, unfortunately I don't make the rules.

Defining people by their good works does not save them. NO ONE derseves heaven. We define good by our definition, not God's. God sees that no one is good.

Yess!!!!! Look at how retarded these Christians are on this website, you really want to spend eternity surrounded by them? I'd prefer hell thanks.