Are country music fans racist?

I am an African American and I like Courtry Music and I am concidering going to a very BIG anual Country music event in Detroit called the Hoedown. It is a 3 day event where many Country music artist perform. I ask this question because I do not want to go where I am not wanted or may be in danger. Please, Country music fans be honest with me. I as sure some my be but is it wide sperad and common knowledge? PLEASE ONLY SERIOUS ANSWERS!!! THANK YOU.

Favorite Answer

Millions of white country music fans truly love Charley Pride.

He succeeded in country music in the 1970's when Obama was still carrying his books to school.

A great feat considering he was also African American at a time when segregation was still very fresh in the minds of the country. If you haven't heard of him check him out. He's one of the great icons of country music.- see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Pride

Most mainstram country music fans are easy going friendly people. They like the music just the same as you and I. - I think you would be more than welcome. Be proud of who you are and enjoy the music. - You have the right to enjoy it too.

Obviously there can sometimes be bad asses in any crowd anywhre regardless of race, music preferences, sports, or religion. Some Afro American Rappers have an equally bad reputation just as those greasy pimply white - cowboy hatted red necks do. I think you will be fine at a big festival and I don't think you will be the only lone African American there that likes country music. Enjoy.

Overall, no. Of course, just like with rock, jazz and blues fans, you can certainly find country fans who are racist but, for the most part, they won't be.

While you're at it, look up Darius Rucker's (a black man who crossed over to country) tune called "All I Want." In that song, he's joined by country guitarist Brad Paisley (a white man)...though Paisley only plays lead guitar on that track. Also, on another of Rucker's songs, "If I Had Wings," featured both Alison Krauss and Vince Gill on backing vocals (both are white country artists).

Anyway, just like most country artists, most country fans aren't racist. The same thing can be said for the general public nowadays as well.

• oshell

It is a assertion of aiding the reality of your southern history. We do not need a Southern States Day or Dixieland Day around the complete nation will we? however but we rejoice each and every different different corporations or folks heritages or ideals do not we. Not really FAIR or EVEN now could be it? Funny how our govt could don't forget a few persons racists and different no longer! Let's take a seem on the REAL racists on this nation. It's our govt that permits in this day and age to be celebrated.

Bill Anderson said in his autobiography that he only received two negative letters criticizing his rather brave (at the time) decision to have Charley Pride appear on his syndicated TV show in the late 60s. Both of the letters came from the NORTH (Wisconsin and New Jersey).

There have been blacks in country music since 1928. Blacks and whites performed together in the same studio in the late 1940s. One of the greatest country songs in history was written by three white southerners (two from Alabama and one from Arkansas) and a Mississippi black man.

In other words, no, country music fans aren't racist.

As an African American female who's a country music fan & a bull riding fan consider yourself blessed to be part of something that is uniquely you & don't worry what others may say

Country music fans? No, look how good Darius Rucker is doing. Are some fans? Sure. That is what you get with every fans though.

• ?

You may find some that are but as a whole NO. As long as you enjoy country music for sure go and i'm sure you will be made welcome and be pleasantly surprised at how open and friendly others will be. ENJOY.

Just the dumb backwoods redneck ones. You know there are black country singers. I live in the country and there's quite a few black cowboys. I think you will be fine if you just stop worrying about it. And I hope you have a blast! :)

• ?

NO! NOT ALL COUNTRY MUSIC FANS ARE RACIST! It is very rude and arrogant of you to even assume that!

if a person is happy following their own path they are less likely to concern themselves with the popularity of race talk