Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 10 years ago

How much do you tip a massage therapist?

I'm either getting a 30 minute massage for 50 dollars or a 45 minute massage for 65. How much do you tip if a therapist does a good job, average, or poor? I have never had a massage so I'm not sure how much you tip and should I get a 30 minute or 45 minute session?

Favorite Answer

First, make sure you know this: Most massage therapists do NOT make the full amount of the massage, they usually make a percentage of it, which even then can vary a lot. They might even make less than that depending on the things they have to pay for (rent for the space, supplies, etc). I know MT's who make less than minimum wage when its averaged out. The majority of them also pay their own taxes meaning even if she got $20 dollars for each massage she would actually only MAKE $16. Also realize that Massage therapists can not work 8 hours a day, like most people work in other less physical jobs.

Tipping is really your own preference when it comes to an amount. If you feel they did a great job, then give them a little more than you would have originally. If they did poorly, give them a very small one (if it was awful then dont feel like you need to tip at all).

I have clients who tip all the time, some who tip occasionally, and some who never do, all ranging from $0-$40 for an hour ($50 is what i charge for an hour). The average amount I get tipped is $10 for an hour. But again, any tip is going to make them feel appreciated for their hard work and it is up to you to decide what it was worth.

Source(s): I'm a certified massage therapist (of 4 years) in a physical therapy clinic.
    • Tipping 20% is fine ($10 on the $50 massage) unless the person giving the massage is the business owner. I don't tip business owners because they control what they think their services are worth. Other than that, I agree witih Jane D's comments.

How Much To Tip Massage

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): tip massage therapist: https://shortly.im/PzKWi

Being a massage therapist usually an hour massage they will tip me $20. For half an hour $10. But just know every good massage therapist does not expect to be tipped. It's a good way to not pressure the client and so they can give freely to the therapist.

I tip my therapist $ 40 for a 90 min massage. They are both single moms with kids. They are both the best therapists at Massage Envy .

• Wendy

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awcPx

mountaingrrl70 - exactly. These individuals are self-employed small business owners, they make their own money. They set their prices accordingly. Honestly I do not feel tipping is really neccessary in this situation. I have tipped my farrier once in my life. He drove 2 1/2 hours to replace a shoe on my horse (he'd done the original shoes 2.5 weeks prior) at 10:30 pm the night before I had a show. He didn't charge me (because he'd put the shoe on originally) so I gave him $30 just to help with his gas costs. Edit - we always feed or farrier and keep him hopped up on coffee. We have enough horses he is usually here over at least one meal... he has become a family friend over time.

Depends on what state your in and how much the massage is. Also depends on whether or not the therapist is independently working. Im a NY licensed massage therapist. The normal amount of tip I receive in a spa is $20. The service cost was $120/hour and therapists got $35 out of that.

I no longer work in spas for that reason. My personal clients usually do not tip because they know Im receiving their full payment.

It depends on your feel . If you are happy with treatment then give Tip to them or even the treatment is ok or not good. But this is a trick you when you give Tip to therapist then they might be happy and will look after you more (mean massage your good next time) and tell their colleague that this customer give TIP. and all of therapist will treat you good. Doesn't matter how much you give tip.

Source(s): www.vluxmassage.com

I would tip $10 for a hour massage, $15 for a 90 min massage. Also I always leave cash in the room for the massage therapist instead of adding it on the credit card. Just my own preference there but feel like the business would have to tax the tip if I did put it on the card. When I show up for my massages I always make sure to have cash on hand for the tip and will ask for change from the front desk if I need to break a $20 bill. More then once I've seen people leave really big tips at the counter when they are asked if they would like to leave a gratuity for the therapist and they feel like they would be considered cheap if they don't add enough to the bill. So I never worry about it as I tell them that I left a tip in the room and don't feel pressured to leaving more then you should.

You tip based on how much they make and how much it cost and how well they did the service. Obviously things may vary based on personal choices, but it should boil down to cost of massage, service rendered, and I always make it a point to ask how much they make of my appt so I can tip appropriately. Obviously use your discretion if you think they are lying. All depends on the situation, I think everyone here can make a safe assessment.