Which Sherlock Holmes film/series is the best?

The 3 famous ones are the Basil Rathbone films, Jeremy Brett, and the Soviet Films with Vasily Livanov.

• Vidocq
    Favorite Answer

I am partial to the Soviet Films. Censorship at the time stopped them from using some stuff of the canon and they did messed around with Lestrade I like Holmes and Watson's characterization. It's exactly how I always imagined Holmes and Watson to be when I read the canon and Now I can't help to listen Vasily Livanov's distinctive voice in my head every time I read the canon.

Now that's not to say that I don't the Jeremy Brett Series. Jeremy's Holmes has a lot of wrath in him but still the stoic. Like a burning forrest surrounded by a wall of ice. He used to do this one second expressions for his Holmes, he used to call them the cracks in the Mabel, They are hard to describe

but you'll know them when you see them. They also had great pieces of Fandom on them.

An often overlooked series is the Hammer series that spun off The Hound of The Baskervilles movie (One of the best adaptations of the novel btw) with Peter Cushing as Holmes and Nigel Stock as Watson. Nigel Stock was the perfect balance between Nigel Bruce that the audience could recognize and Canon Watson that the Holmesians could love and I just can't say enough good things about Peter Cushing's portrayal he was very active and inactive, and his eyes reminded me to a bloodhound on a trail, which is a very good thing to see in a Holmes portrayal. You can feel the love for the canon in this productions and in Peter Cushing himself, every time he talked about Holmes in interviews it was as if he had known him in real life.

Of all the versions I've seen, I must say the Granada series with Jeremy Brett is the very best.

I don't think you could get Sherlock Holmes any better than that.

Of the sequence of "Holmes" videos of the previous due 1930's to early 1940's those with Basil Rathbone as Sherlock are the appropriate. i comprehend you need to purchase the sequence from Turner classic video clips, yet haven't any thought on the re-boot.

The series with Jeremy Brett was spot on.