Ladies, how high did you rat (tease) your hair.....?

and did you used to sleep in those awful, torturous, hard curler things?

Did you own one of the first hair dryers for home? They were like the big salon ones and you sat under it with the metal curlers that would burn your scalp.

I wore mine shoulder length with it teased straight and in a flip.

Jack - you are a hoot!!

Yes, I remember the white lipstick now that you ladies mention it.

Favorite Answer

At my school they actually measured our hair. It couldn't be more than a foot high. I never wore it teased more than a few inches. Some girls wore so much hairspray to hold their gigantic hair in place it beaded up and cast rainbows in sunlight.

Mom owned a beauty salon, so I got to try all the hairstyles...sort of a guinea pig. Remember the Italian top and the French twist? I remember teasing my hair, but I have very fine hair, so it did not stay too well. There was a little dome shaped thing that could be worn under the hair. I think it was called a rat.

I had to wear a uniform to school, so the only way we could express our individuality was with hair and makeup. I had quite a collection of headbands and bows.

I hated the hair dryer, and so I would sleep with brush rollers in my hair, the kind with the little pink pins. I can't even imagine how I fell asleep.

I wore white lipstick, and put black eye pencil on my eyes, both top and bottom. When I started my modeling career, we would wear 2 sets of fake eyelashes because of the strong lights. Leg makeup was a must when modeling also because you did not have to worry about runs. We buffed it until our legs shined.

I much prefer today's wash and wear hair.

Oh, what great memories your question has brought back to me. I have always had straight hair, except when my mom permed my hair in early grade school. I set my hair in rollers every night when I got into Jr. High, using the brush rollers as well as the magnetic rollers. I don't know how I slept on them, but I did. I teased my hair daily & styled my hair into a bouffant hair style, but not too big a one, because I had/have a real small face & didn't want to look "all hair." When I was in the ninth grade, my parents bought me a tabletop hairdryer, that came in a round suitcase. I loved it & used it all the time. Speaking of the "white lipstick," I also wore it. I think of wearing that lipstick & I can't believe I wore it. Hey, it was the style!!!

In school no one wore very long hair just a flip up at the bottom and teased up. Once it was all teased and smoothed over, you used a rattail comb to pick it up and a lot of hairspray until it was stiff. I used AquaNet. Yes, I remember using big rollers under a cap which was a hair dryer. They didn't yet have blow dryers. Remember eyelash curlers and eyelash mascara?

• Poppy

In high school I wore my hair very short until my Senior year. I liked the french twist best, remember that hair style? I don't remember the white lipstick. My sister whose hair was long and straight would wear those large plastic curlers to bed. My hair was naturally curly so I did not have to suffer those awful things. We had a hair dryer that you put the bag on your hair and set the dryer on the table while you sat in a chair. You could use it anywhere. Poppy

• janet

I never tease my hair now. I'm actually lucky I have any left -- lol.

There are family pictures of me, in the early 60's with my hair teased at least 4" high -- I thought it looked fantastic, at the time. Now it's an embarrassment. In the mid to late 60's I became a hippie and grew my hair very long -- and those pictures still look good, surprisingly enough. I think long, straight hair looks good in any generation. Except when you become a senior and then long hair only makes you look older. So now I have a short, style which I think looks pretty darn good!

P.S. Yes, I remember white lipstick. And, at the same time, we wore green nail polish. Yuck!

• SueyN

Oh Boy do I remember those day well. I had short hair, but teased hair. You would start with a section at a time and use a rat tailed comb and hold your hair up and then back comb it. Then I would take the top layer of hair that was teased and comb over the teased hair. Back then you didn't wash your hair often. I remember when my hair looked it's best on the third day. We didn't have all the good product for your hair back then to mousse up our hair or to condition it. Do you remember when girls would go to the beauty parlor and have their hair done and it looked good on a Monday and by the time Thursday came around it looked like hell and you wanted to tell them to just wash your hair or go back to the salon?

I did tease my hair, but not as high as some did. I have a picture of my mom and her two sisters in the late 60s, with their hair teased way too high, and they wore wiglets to boot!! I always laughed at my mom. At night she would take this foam hair protector with velcro and wrap it around her hair before going to bed. It looked just like the bride of Frankensteins hair. No joke.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/brideoffrank.jp...

I slept in hair rollers many times. Those brush rollers were murder on the scalp. I had one of those portable hair dryers like you speak of. I remember when there were hair dryers at the laundromat. Women could dry their hair while they wash and dryed their clothes. My mom put me under one of those one time and like to have burned my ears off. They were beat red when I came out from under it.

• -

I tried ratting it a couple of times, with the fine texture of my hair it wasn't a good idea, my hair tangled as it was. I ended up with straight long hair parted down the middle like 90% of the girls back then. I couldn't get used to those rollers either, light-sleeper. My sister and cousin would roll their hair on small orange juice cans sometimes to make a big smooth flip.

One morning I was brushing my daughter's hair, she was about 3 years old, and she had a big tangle in it, told her I had to get the rats out. She got the scariest look on her face and started running. lol

all and multiple "reversed combed" their hair. there have been particular combs with lacking or short tooth that finished the seem. for each layer we teased into position, we had to apply hair spray. via the time we were by using, the hair might want to face a minimum of six to eight inches above the properly and felt like a helmet. It itched a lot because of each and every of the spray. To sleep, we wrapped lavatory tissue around the properly and pinned it in position. the subsequent morning, we used the "rat tail" end of the teasing comb to fluff it again out (and evidently, added yet another layer of hairspray). The extremely relaxing section got here at the same time as the hair had to be washed. It took a large number of shampoo and conditioner to salvage the hair from its cage of hairspray. Then it develop into all finished back. quite bold females might want to dye their hair pink or pink. there develop into not one of the spray-in hues of on the on the spot. Their hair stayed although colour they dyed it for weeks. females who bleached their hair blonde were seen "less costly", yet no longer in the experience that they colored it a pastel colour. That develop into seen "stylish".