Can you reword this paragraph for me, to make it sound more professional?

As I entered the darkened, old house I stepped upon an old mat. I knelt down and bent the corner of the mat up and used it as a stopper to hold the door steadily open too avoid the creaking of the rusty hinges. I tiptoed silently through the hall to the stairs, careful not to disturb the sleeping owner. When I... show more As I entered the darkened, old house I stepped upon an old mat. I knelt down and bent the corner of the mat up and used it as a stopper to hold the door steadily open too avoid the creaking of the rusty hinges. I tiptoed silently through the hall to the stairs, careful not to disturb the sleeping owner. When I reached the creaky staircase which I was so very familiar with, I stepped over the first stair and onto the second, then the third, I stepped over the forth, clutching the banister tightly to hold my balance. Avoiding each creaking stair that may give me away.