Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus' resurrection, show me in the Bible where it says that Jesus was resurrected as ?

A spirit creature in light of what Jesus himself says about himself in Luke 39Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

I don't want to hear he was raised "in the spirit' as that is not raised "as a spirit". I don't want to hear he manifested a body unless you can show me the scripture that says he manifested a physical body.

Sorry, I didn't get the "24" in Luke 24:39, hope that clears that up.

Papa g - that does not work. 1 Cor 15:45 raised a spiritual body- does not equate as raised as a spirit, in light of Luke 24:39

Same with 1 Peter 3:18 "alive by the spirit or some bibles "alive in the spirit. does not equate with raised "as a spirit"

Jesus, very clearly tells us that he is not a spirit.

"T" your answer reflects why you are lost

Papa G - you are taking verses and twisting them, no where does it say that Jesus scared them so he lied to them about being a spirit. You are reading these verses from a preconcieved ideal, a concept and Stretching them to fit. But all the while making Jesus out to be a liar. When Jesus stated that he was flesh an bones and a spirit does not have flesh and bones, that should end it, he says he's not a spirit, guess what, he IS NOT a spirit. Until you can come up with something stronger then just some ideals or concepts, you too should believe in what Jesus said.

John 2: 18Then the Jews demanded of him, "What miraculous sign can you show us to prove your authority to do all this?"

19Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."

20The Jews replied, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?" 21But the temple he had spoken of was his body. 22After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.

TeeM - What I do not want and am getting is a bunch of excuses trying to defend a concept that is not real. Jesus fortells of him being raised in his body (physical) then after resurrection tells us he is not a spirit but you guys are out trying to prove him wrong. Shame on you guys, trying to make Jesus out to be a liar.

I just can not believe how far a JW will go to keep up the "raised as a spirit theme". Jesus made it clear that he was not a spirit. His own words tell us that. But you guys totally ignore his words, just to fulfill your worldly concept invented by a man,

Ludwig Van Bach - you say there is no scripture that directly says he was resurrected physically. I think the one I quoted above does, he spoke of his body and at the time was alive, so it had to be his physical body, not a spirit body, this he spoke in front of his disciples . He also had Thomas feel him. This assurred them that he was real and that he has a physcial body. Flesh and BLOOD can't go to heaven but what about flesh and BONES?

BAR-ANERGES - a lot of words to say that in Luke 24:39 Jesus lied. Also that in the spirit means as a spirit. Sorry that just won't cut it. No matter how many books you quote or read, the out come is still the same. Jesus' words mean more than any book that you read or quote.

If you gus e going to tell me that Jehovah manifested a body for Jesus, then please tell us where in the bible it says such a thing.

Ginosko92 - "CAUSED TO BE SEEN"

I pulled my motorcycle out of the garage and I CAUSED IT TO BE SEEN AND BY THE PEOPLE I WANTED TO SEE IT. GET THE PICTURE!

What does Jesus mean when he says "Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have." does it mean he is a spirit or it was him, his body, his hands, his feet, or did he just lie to them to make them feel better.

Dude, for someone acting as a sheep you sure put out the bull!

Favorite Answer

It's not in the Bible, it's in the heads and thoughts of the Jehovah's Witness as taught to them by the Watchtower. This is a concept of men not of God.

There are, however, two common texts that Jehovah's Witnesses cite when trying to find support for their denial of a physical bodily resurrection of the Lord Jesus which we will briefly examine here.

The first of these texts is found in 1 Peter 3:18 which reads as follows in the New World Translation: "Why, even Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous [person] for the unrighteous ones, that he may lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit." Jehovah's Witnesses, therefore view the latter part of this text, "...but being made alive in the spirit." as evidence that Jesus was raised as a spirit creature. But is this a correct understanding of this phrase? It is significant that this phrase states "in the spirit" rather than "as a spirit. The spirit referred to here is most probably the Holy Spirit, as He is certainly seen as being present at Christ's resurrection according to Romans 1:4 (NWT): "but who with power was declared God's Son according to the spirit of holiness by means of the resurrection from the dead - yes, Jesus Christ our Lord."

It is also worth noting that Romans 8:8-9 describes Christians who have their physical bodies now, as being "in spirit" (literal Greek of The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures, 1969). So if Christians can be described as having bodies now as "in spirit", it is no problem for the risen Christ to retain His powerful resurrected physical body and be described of as 'in the spirit'.

The other main Scripture passage that the Watchtower uses in an attempt to support their doctrine of Christ rising as a spirit creature is 1 Corninthians 15:44-46 which reads as follows in the New World Translation: "It is sown a physical body, it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one. It is even so written: " The first man Adam became a living soul." The last Adam became a life giving spirit. Nevertheless, the first is, not that which is spiritual, but that which is physical, afterward that which is spiritual." The whole point of 1 Corninthians 15:35-58 is that the natural body will be changed and raised up a powerful supernatural body. It is not as though what will be raised will be distinct from the physical body, rather, there will be a continuity. For example, verses 42-44 state how it (the body, not something else) will be raised up. It is sown a perishable, dishonorable, weak, and natural body. It (the same body) is raised up an imperishable, glorious, powerful, spiritual body. Verses 53-54 also states that the perishable mortal body will "put on" imperishability and immortality. By putting something on you are adding to what you already have.

It should also be pointed out that another popular objection that Jehovah’s Witnesses raise, when disputing the physical resurrection of Christ, is that they claim that Jesus simply manifested a physical looking body in the same way that angels did on some occasions: "Humans cannot see spirits, so the disciples evidently thought they were seeing an apparition or a vision (compare Mark 6:49, 50). Jesus assured them that he was no apparition; they could see his body of flesh and could touch him, feeling the bones; he also ate in their presence. Similarly, in the past, angels had materialized in order to be seen by men; they has eaten, and some had even married and fathered children (Gen. 6:4; 19:1-3)." (Reasoning From the Scriptures, pp. 334 -335). An excellent response to this line of reasoning is found in an article on the CARM website, where it is stated: "The problem with their view is that the angels were not incarnated. Jesus became a man by birth, therefore, He had a real, physical body, a permanent body. In fact, right now, Jesus is in heaven in the form of a man. He still has two natures, God and man, and will eternally be that." (CARM website "A Biblical Response to Jehovah's Witnesses")

Biblical Evidence for Christ's Physical Resurrection

The Bible is clear that when Jesus rose from the dead it was His actual body that rose, not some spirit creature:

Jesus Himself spoke of the resurrection of His own body on numerous occasions:

Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews therefore said, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?" But He was speaking of the temple of His body. When therefore He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture, and the word which Jesus had spoken." (John 2:19-22 emphasis added).

"And while they were telling these things, He Himself stood in their midst. But they were startled and frightened and thought they were seeing a spirit. And He said to them, "Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have." (Luke 24: 36-39)

"Then He said to Thomas, reach here your finger, and see my hands; and reach here your hand, and out it into my side; and be not unbelieving, but believing." (John 20:27)

The apostles recognized that it was Jesus' actual body that was raised up:

"Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazerene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders...you nailed to a cross...and God raised Him up again...This Jesus God raised up again...Therefore let all the house of Israel know for certain that God has made Him both Lord and Christ - this Jesus who you crucified." (Acts 2:22, 24, 32, 36)

"The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus, the one who you delivered up, and disowned before Pilate, when he had decided to release Him. But you disowned the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses." (Acts 3:13-15 emphasis added)

"because He [God] has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men, by raising Him from the dead." (Acts 17:31 emphasis added)

"For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." (1 Tim. 2:5 emphasis added)

Angels recognized that it was Jesus Himself who was raised, and not some spirit creature similar to themselves:

"And he [the angel] said to them [the disciples], "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazerene, who has been crucified. He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him." (Mark 16:6, emphasis added)

Something that every Jehovah's Witness should realize is that through their insistence in denying the bodily resurrection of Jesus, they are denying the very core message of the Gospel and the salvation specifically spoken of in the book of Romans:

"that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." (Rom. 10:9)

Consequently, if Jehovah's Witnesses insist that Jesus was not raised from the dead, then it follows that, according to the above verse, they cannot possibly be saved.

Jehovah's Witnesses who will you believe? - the Watchtower, and its views expressed in its literature, or God, and what He Himself says in His Word about the resurrection of His Son? We cannot afford to be wrong on this vital doctrine, it is central to the Gospel message and our eternal destinies depend on it.

BAR- ANERGES - it is you who is breaking the rules, you are using less clear verses as proof while plainly using the more clear verses and twisting them to make them less meaningful. You my friend are\doing what the questioning author states, you are calling Jesus a liar!

• jen

Jw's bible students, are just that, so those of that resurrection that will be with Jesus are equal to angels, Luke 20:34-36. Those(with Jesus)must know this, John 3:5-8, angels are spirit/spirits, God is a soul, Jer.9:9; God is a spirit, John 4: 24;

Job 38:4-7, angels are first before man.

Job 2:1-3, God ask one spirit being about an earthly flesh being named Job.

Matt.25:31-35, holy angels are with Jesus.

Until Jesus ascended into heaven after his resurrection, Matt.27:5-53, Acts 1:9-11; And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 1:10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Life of flesh is three to five miles above the earth as the birds or a helicopter does fly.

Acts 2:27-35; Jesus ascended to God's right hand. He could do as priviledged angels(spirit beings), materialize or be invisible, after his resurrection and while on earth.

Many verses support this. So all bible students either know or are learning this, there are only two beings, flesh or spirit.

Source(s): Bible.

1 Peter 3:18 - "He being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit."

1 Timothy 3:16 - "He was made manifest in flesh, was declared righteous in spirit."

1 Corinthians 15:50 - "Flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s kingdom, neither does corruption inherit incorruption."

There is no scripture that specifically says either Jesus was raised in a physical body, or that he has a physical body right now.

It should be obvious by the context, and many Bible commentators have pointed out, that the disciples thought that the Jesus before them was a ghost or an apparition. They hadn't fully grasped the concept that Jesus would be put to death for mankind's sins, and then resurrected. Jesus' point wasn't that he was raised in a physical body, but that it really was the resurrected Jesus who was standing there.

There are other places in the Bible where spiritual beings appeared 100% physical, but were not, and even ate food. See Genesis 18:1-8.

I have noticed that many physical-body proponents ignore the semantic range of the Greek word for "spirit." They zero in on one particular meaning of "spirit," and ignore the others. However, one must determine the precise definition of the word by looking at the context of the passage.

The disciples thought Jesus was an apparition, so the best definition of "spirit" in this instance would be definition #4 in the BDAG Greek lexicon:

④ an independent noncorporeal being, in contrast to a being that can be perceived by the physical senses.

These could include:

ⓑ good, or at least not expressly evil spirits or spirit-beings

or:

ⓒ evil spirits

The passage makes it clear that the disciples didn't think it was Jesus - either his physical body or a spiritual body. They thought he was an apparition, a noncorporeal entity that was possibly an evil spirit.

His flesh was a barrier that prevented access to the heavenly realm. Jesus’ “flesh” is spoken of at Hebrews 10:20 as being represented by the “curtain” that separated the Holy from the Most Holy in the tabernacle. Before he could enter heaven, the real “Most Holy,” Jesus had to give up his fleshly existence and receive spirit nature. His body of flesh would have been a barrier to his going beyond the “curtain” as a spirit person. Question: If Jesus Christ was resurrected as a spirit, how can Jehovah's Witnesses say they will be resurrected bodily? So, what did Jesus mean when he said: "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up… He was talking about the temple of his body." What temple? What body? “Do you not know that you people are God’s temple, and that the spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him; for the temple of God is holy, which temple you people are.”

• papa G

(1 Corinthians 15:45; 1 Peter 3:18)

I don't know if these will help.

Humans cannot see spirits, so the disciples evidently thought they were seeing an apparition or a vision. (Compare Mark 6:49, 50.) Jesus assured them that he was no apparition; they could see his body of flesh and could touch him, feeling the bones; he also ate in their presence. Similarly, in the past, angels had materialized in order to be seen by men; they had eaten, and some had even married and fathered children. (Gen. 6:4; 19:1-3) Following his resurrection, Jesus did not always appear in the same body of flesh (perhaps to reinforce in their minds the fact that he was then a spirit), and so he was not immediately recognized even by his close associates. (John 20:14, 15; 21:4-7) However, by his repeatedly appearing to them in materialized bodies and then saying and doing things that they would identify with the Jesus they knew, he strengthened their faith in the fact that he truly had been resurrected from the dead.

If the disciples had actually seen Jesus in the body that he now has in heaven, Paul would not later have referred to the glorified Christ as being “the exact representation of [God’s] very being,” because God is a Spirit and has never been in the flesh.—Heb. 1:3; compare 1 Timothy 6:16.

If I were here for the 10 points I would give you a lie, but I'm here for logic and truth.

I'm not a JW; I believe that His " flesh shall rest in hope" and that He didn't "see corruption" (Acts 2:26-27). But I also see another verse, saying that : "the last Adam was made a quickening spirit" (1Cor 15:45). I inhibited myself from making a comment, as you want a direct quotation.

Luke was emphatic in this, JWs -- "They were terrified and affrighted, and SUPPOSED that they had seen a spirit" (Luke 24:37).

Bar-Anerges pretty much summed it up pretty good. However if FLESH and blood CANNOT go to heaven how can FLESH and bones?

***EDIT***

Dude, did you even take the time to read Bar-Anerges' post. From your answer it seems to me you didn't. He gave you SCRIPTURAL evidence that Christ was raised as a spirit and your answer to him is all you can come up with??

ACTS 10:40(NIV)

40 but GOD raised him from the dead on the third day and CAUSED HIM TO BE SEEN.(emphasis mine)

What does it mean to you that GOD caused him to be see? How would GOD cause him to be seen?

I have a friend who is a witness and he has told me that they believe Jesus got a new body when he was resurrected and that they same will happen for them. They believe in paradise on Earth, when they will be reborn with a new perfect body and love on a perfect Earth forever. I forget where he said it was, but he said that there is a verse where Jesus's followers don't recognize him, and I am not referring to the doubting Thomas part. That's all I've got though.

• TeeM

Since you don't want truth and honest answers, why are you asking questions?

Since you don't want to know what the bible says, how can we answer you?

Context, something you alway ignore provides the answers

1 Cor 15:44

(ASV) it is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body.

(KJV) It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body.

The Greek at 1 Cor 15:45, which is translated as "spirit" can also be translated as "angel"

Thus 1 Cor 14:45 could read "The last Adam became a life-giving angel [spirit].

.

Jehovah God, his father in heaven, manifested his body...After he was resurrected,,,after three days...by Jehovah, Jesus spent the next 40 days on the earth with his apostles...

(Luke 24:28-43) Finally they got close to the village where they were journeying, and he made as if he was journeying on farther. 29 But they used pressure upon him, saying: “Stay with us, because it is toward evening and the day has already declined.” With that he went in to stay with them. 30 And as he was reclining with them at the meal he took the loaf, blessed it, broke it and began to hand it to them. 31 At that their eyes were fully opened and they recognized him; and he disappeared from them. 32 And they said to each other: “Were not our hearts burning as he was speaking to us on the road, as he was fully opening up the Scriptures to us?” 33 And in that very hour they rose and returned to Jerusalem, and they found the eleven and those with them assembled together, 34 saying: “For a fact the Lord was raised up and he appeared to Simon!” 35 Now they themselves related the [events] on the road and how he became known to them by the breaking of the loaf. 36 While they were speaking of these things he himself stood in their midst [[and said to them: “May YOU have peace.”]] 37 But because they were terrified, and had become frightened, they were imagining they beheld a spirit. 38 So he said to them: “Why are YOU troubled, and why is it doubts come up in YOUR hearts? 39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; feel me and see, because a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as YOU behold that I have.” 40 [[And as he said this he showed them his hands and his feet.]] 41 But while they were still not believing for sheer joy and were wondering, he said to them: “Do YOU have something there to eat?” 42 And they handed him a piece of broiled fish; 43 and he took it and ate it before their eyes.

Read it through...Only a fleshly body can eat fish...

Source(s): NWT

My two bibles dont have a luke 39...

It does however have a Luke 24:50-53

When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God.

Or a Acts 1:9-11

After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight. They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. "Men of Galilee," they said, "why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."