IRS took money from my refund?

I just checked my bank account and saw our tax refund had been deposited, but it was short by a considerable amount of money (over $2000), so there's hardly a refund at all. My husband forgot to file his taxes in 2002 and 2006 (he moved and apparently the W2s got lost in translation? I don't understand... show more I just checked my bank account and saw our tax refund had been deposited, but it was short by a considerable amount of money (over $2000), so there's hardly a refund at all.

My husband forgot to file his taxes in 2002 and 2006 (he moved and apparently the W2s got lost in translation? I don't understand it, but that's a different problem...anyways)...That was before we were married.

Our 2007 taxes were filed together (b/c we had been married that year). I had no idea about him not filing until our refund was held for a very LONG time. Upon calling, they informed us what the problem was. Last summer we received a notice from the IRS telling us what he owed. We have a friend who is an accountant working on this issue, but he's busy and it's taking him a really LONG time to do it. We can't afford to pay someone b/c I lost my job last June and have been unemployed. In April, we did our taxes for this year with Turbo Tax and submitted them on time. The refund just came through last night and it's all wrong. I checked online and the amount they have there is what was submitted. What happened to the rest of the money? I spoke with a father and he said they couldn't penalize our refund based on this years return b/c we filed jointly, and the taxes he owes are from when he was still single. I know the amount we did on Turbo tax was correct b/c I checked it several times to make sure all the info was accurate. I can't call the IRS b/c they are not open on Saturdays but I'm just so upset. We were counting on that money just to get caught up with all the bills we've been behind on these past few months. I want the IRS to get the money he owes them but, I'm so confused by all of this. Can someone please help me?
Update: Kaplan- You're an ***. READ the question before you make your abrasive and overly punctuated comments. For the rest of you, thank you all so much. I appreciate all the info. I have been on him about this and tried to handle it myself with the IRS, but b/c it's under his name they won't discuss... show more Kaplan- You're an ***. READ the question before you make your abrasive and overly punctuated comments.

For the rest of you, thank you all so much. I appreciate all the info. I have been on him about this and tried to handle it myself with the IRS, but b/c it's under his name they won't discuss it with me. Very frustrating. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out about filing the other two years myself. Turbo tax is available for 2006, though the other one is going to be difficult to find. Thankfully I made copies of all the documents before they were handed off to his friend. Hopefully things will work out. The IRS should get their money, it is owed after all. It's just frustrating now b/c we need it so badly.
Thanks again for all the info.