Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

sun asked in TravelAsia PacificPhilippines · 1 decade ago

Is it easier to learn the Tagalog language if you know Spanish and English?

Tagalog incorporates English and Spanish in its language so is it easier to learn if you know these two languages?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It will help you a little, but not much.

Technical terms from before the 20th century (thus during the time of Spanish rule) are often of Spanish origin. Example: Car is "kotse", pronounced like the Spanish coche. A fork is "tenedor" like in Spanish and a guitar is "gitara" (Spanish: "Guitarra").

Technical terms after that time are mostly coming from English (like "radio" and "TV").

There are quite a few words similar with Malay / Indonesian also (e.g. "kuko" is like the Indonesian "kuku" for fingernail).

It will help you a bit when you speak Spanish and English. But not too much. Tagalog grammar is quite different (also to Malay / Indonesian grammar) and most Tagalog words are not like English or Spanish.

The biggest benefit you will get with counting. Filipinos use Spanish-based numbers for transaction at the market and at food stalls (and playing Bingo). So "cuarenta y tres" will always be understood.

In shops, supermarkets and business English numbers are used. Everybody understands forty-three.

Then there are also proper Tagalog numbers (apat na pu't tatlo for 43) but they are rarely used (mostly for numbers below 10) and you get away with not knowing them.

As an example I speak Spanish, English and Indonesian fluently, but it only helps me a little with learning Tagalog.

Source(s): My source is my own knowledge of Spanish, English, Indonesian and Tagalog. I also consulted a native Tagalog speaker.
  • 1 decade ago

It is easier to learn Visayan if you know Spanish and English. It is easier to learn Tagalog if you know Malaysian or Arabic. Best to read Tagalog literature. Everything's phonetic. Just have a dictionary ready.

Truth is, you can communicate in simple English anywhere in the Philippines. Spanish, maybe in Zamboanga.

• 1 decade ago

Tagalog shares a small percentage of vocabulary taken from Spanish and English, but everything else is very different. It doesn't make it much easier.

• 1 decade ago

English, because if you want to learn Tagalog,your teacher most likely would use English to communicate with you

• 1 decade ago

It helps a lot!

However, please remember that learning another language is a chalenge and sometimes a "gift".

Others learn faster - some are very slow. But your strong determination to learn and the time you put forth - plus your chances to get absorved in the language are the most important factor in your speed and success in learning. If you are reolved to learn because you have aim and purpose, then your learning will be fun and enjoyable.

• 1 decade ago

yes indeed

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.