Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 10 years ago

Daughter Climbs Out Of Crib, Falls On Her Head. Any Suggestions?

Daughter: 18 months and a fiery pistol. Smart as a whip. Climbs out of crib, lands on her head. Although smart, doesn't seem to learn from this. Keeps climbing, keeps falling.

Crib: 4 1/2 feet tall. Solid wood. Mattress platform on lowest possible setting. Vaseline on crib does not work. Can't raise sides or lower mattress.

What I've tried: Vaseline on sides of crib, still got out. Playpen, tipped it over and/or climbed out (fell on head again). Mattress on floor for 2 weeks, can't make her lay down (thats the "fiery pistol" part). Mattress on floor with a gate or pen to keep her in, anxiety attack and started hyperventilating, leading to her not breathing. My bed, won't lay down and/or falls off and/or makes me fall off. Its a small bed.

Me: Not sure I want to try "cozy crib tent" due to strangulation issues and non-regulated status. 4 weeks without sleep. Migraine headache problems. Real sore back. I may be going cross-eyed also.

You: people with off the wall (yet reasonable) ideas on how i can get her to bed, so I can get to bed.

I just thought of putting a helmet on her. But I think she'd figure out how to take it off.

• Sarah

You have two choices: a crib tent or mattress on the floor. IMHO I always say if they are climbing out, crib tent for under age 1 and mattress on floor for over age 1. But many feel that kids should stay in a crib until age 2 (and with a developmental delay his adjusted age is lower), and I respect that. Do a search on "Crib Tent" and you will see that it is basically a mesh tent top that is secured to the top of a crib, and it has a zipper opening. It's designed to keep cats/pets out and kids in. A little pricey, but if you really want him to stay in the crib, that's the only way you can. The other option, if you don't want to go straight to a toddler or twin bed, is mattress on the floor. You put the crib mattress straight on the floor. If he falls or crawls out, it's a very small drop. As he gets older, you can raise it up on a boxspring or something similar, and then even later to a real bed. The only thing is then he wanders around at night, but that's another (albeit normal) toddler issue. Good luck!

Toddler bed. It will take some work on your part to teach her how to stay in the bed, but it CAN be done. My daughter, who is also a pistol, was in her toddler bed by 17 months. Look up the Supernanny's stay-in-bed technique, and STICK WITH IT. You have to be consistent. It may take a few long nights, but you say you aren't getting sleep anyway.

Strip her room down to bare bones, put a gate on the door (make sure she can't climb IT) and teach her how to sleep in a big girl bed.

Good luck!

I had this problem with my now 3 year old and she has since then been in a "big girl bed" ... well, she is now in a twin bed but I put her in a toddler bed once she started climbing out of her crib... A lack of sleep for me was better than my daughter breaking her neck ... I suffer from migraines as well so I know how that goes ... are you taking anything for it? .. I am on topamax and butalbital and it has helped a lot (just sayin!) ... lol ... but honestly, maybe your daughter is really ready for a toddler bed ... put a baby gate up at her door way and baby proof her room .. she will eventuallly learn to stay in her bed.

Yes you moron! put her in a toddler bed!!! When my daughter started being big enough to "climb" out i moved her before a terrible accident like that happend. How can you leave her in the crib knowing shes doing this over and over??

• ?

It's usually recommended that once a child starts to get out of the crib that she put in a toddler bed.

If a kid is big enough to climb out of a crib ,its time for a big kids bed, doesn't have to be a toddler bed, a regular twin is fine. you cant keep her in that crib anymore and she's made that apparent. she isn't the one who has to learn from this, shes 18 months old, its mom who needs to learn when enough's enough and its time for new sleeping arrangements.

Source(s): mom of 4. all got big kid beds on 1st b-day

My daughter did this at 12 months. I immediate;y switched to toddler bed.

Put her in a toddler bed, they are so low to the ground, it won't matter if she falls out but you may also want to have carpet for this.

Time for a toddler bed.

• Momof2

time for a toddler bed