whats some good new stocks to the dow jones? I think its called IPO?

I wanna invest in a new up and coming company that may be big in the next 5-10 years

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Max M
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The stocks you want to focus on is consumer staples, consumer discretionary, and healthcare. These are DEFENSIVE stocks that will survive through good and bad times. Most of my positions are in these stocks. Some names include 3M, Procter & Gamble, Kimberly Clark, Exxon Mobil, Walmart, Costco. Everybody's got to eat and wipe their butts regardless of the state of economy. Many of these companies survived through the Great Depression.

That's the benefits. You can sleep at night knowing your money is doing well. There are NO guarantees that you won't lose money. It's just that these stocks are the best. They pay good dividends too.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

There are 30 stocks in the DOW JONES. They rarely change. They never have IPO's.

Professionals rarely get involved with IPO's. It's worst than gambling. When they do..... it's a very small part of their total portfolio.

Good traders go with the trend. An IPO doesn't have a trend.

Many IPO's will sound like they'll be the next Google. That's as close as they'll get.

IPO's available to the general public are shares usually the professionals are not interested in.

Back in May 2006 Vonage (VG) came out as an IPO. It went from $9 to $17 in the first month. Vonage looked like it was going to be the next big phone company. Today it's at $1.65.

Learn investing. Don't gamble. Don't waste your time. Don't waste your money.

Ignorance of the stock market is very expensive. Learning how to invest or trade can reap many rewards.

• 10 years ago

There are no "new" stocks in the Dow...the Dow is made up of 30 stocks that very seldom change. Now, having said that, IPOs happen all the time. Unluckily, your chances of being an initial investor in an IPO is slim and none. Most IPOs are initially offered to institutional investors who are clients of the investment banks and after that, large individual investors. In most IPOs, by the time the stock hits the exchange, all the initial shares have been scooped up and you would be getting the stocks after open and when the initial investors are selling at profit.

Nobody can predict 5 to 10 years out (many IPOs go nowhere). From your question and reference to the Dow, I would suggest that you educate yourself on investing and the structure of the markets before investing.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I don't want to hurt your feelings, but given the wording of your questions what you need to do is study how to invest instead of asking on Yahoo Answers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.