Jews, How Do You Directly Address God?

I know that many devout Jews refrain from speaking the name of God, and often from even writing it. I have heard of the phrase Ha-Shem (The Name) being used in place of the name of God when speaking of God, but what is used when devout Jews address God? Thanks for your thoughts.

Update:

Jew is a nouns, Jewish an adjective, Jewish People a compound noun phrase. My sister who converted to Judaism calls herself a Jew as does her husband who is Jewish by birth. I mean no disrespect. Thanks.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Chaya
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Since G-d doesn't have an essence that can be pinned down with a name, the Names tend to change with the particular aspect (as opposed to the simple Oneness) that we as human beings can comprehend. A partial list of ways we address God, depending on the circumstances:

The Eternal - Ehyeh, (Crown of All)

Father - Asher or Asher Ehyeh (Wisdom)

Mother - YKVH (Understanding)

El Gadol (Mercy)

Elohim (Might)

Havayah (Beauty)

Tzabaoth (Victory)

Shaddai (Majesty)

El (Righteous One, Foundation of the World)

Adonai (Lord)

Source(s): Socino Zohar, Page 385
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

During prayer, Jews say Adonai ("Lord"). It is common Jewish practice to restrict the use of the word Adonai to prayer only. In conversation, many Jewish people, even when not speaking Hebrew, will call God "Hashem", השם, which is Hebrew for "the Name" (this appears in Leviticus 24:11).

A common title of God in the Hebrew Bible is Elohim (Hebrew: אלהים).

• newham
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

only as quickly as at Mount Sinai. Jews have faith that the only prophet that God spoke directly to became into Moses. A a achieveable exception is Adam whilst he and Eve have been nonetheless interior the backyard of Eden.

• 10 years ago

Well, you already answered your own question. Religious Jews refer to G-d as "G-d" or "Hashem." When in prayer, we use the term "Adonai." Of course, there are many terms in our scriptures which refer to G-d and we use any number of those as well, depending on the situation or the prayer, including: "Father", "Mother," "Our ruler," (and all the variations in Hebrew), etc.

Source(s): Jewish
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Through prayer.

It isn't that we refrain from speaking his name; rather, we believe the true pronunciation is lost. So, we give him a lot of names: Adonai (my lord), Elohim, HaShem, Yahweh, etc. There are many more, including G-d. It is a relationship between you and him, so really any name can be used.

Source(s): Jew
  • 10 years ago

Tis ridiculous God doesn't want you to fear Him. He wants you to Love Him. Ask God how God wants to be addressed. Directly is a start as you need no middle man to reach God. Don't you see how these particular religious ppl make it seem so private and secret and mysterious only to pose the image of being powerful and prestigious themselves. Sad! They are no more worthy of Gods love than you or I.. So much nonsense out there it's sad.

God wants you as a child of His.. a Human.. a Person. Not a class/religion/creed or any nonsense that man has taught you.

• 10 years ago

I think they would prefer to be known as "Jewish" people. Not Jews.

• 10 years ago

"Yooshmuck"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.