Christians: If you lived in Old Testament's time, say 50 B.C?

and you saw a gay person. God's Holy Word in the OT (which applies since Jesus has not yet come), instructs us to kill him in a gruesome fashion.

Would it be morally justified for you to do so?

Anthony - No dancing around the issue. Would it be morally justified for you to do so?

I am that I am! - And that is absolutely horrible. How could you kill him just because he was gay?

This kind of "Everything that god says to do is morally justified" is a really dangerous mode of thinking. You're essentially giving a carte blanche to an abhorrent act just because it has the stamp "God" on it.

Sam - Looks like somebody hasn't read Deuteronomy. Take a look and see the horrors.

Sam - Sorry, I mean Leviticus.

Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Scary, scary answers. Truly it takes a warped mind to kill someone an innocent unprovokedly in cold blood and to believe you're justified in doing it! What barbarism.

Favorite Answer

Not that it will make you feel much better, but keep in mind, this is civil law for God's chosen people, the Hebrews, whom He was raising up to be peculiarly His own, from whom would spring the Messiah. They had special, strict rules that was necessary to set them apart from the paganism of the surrounding peoples.

Its interesting to note that in the OT, the ten commandments were kept in the ark of the covenant. On the lid of the ark was something which is known as the mercy seat. One must pass by the mercy seat to get to the Law. The law is always harsh and uncompromising and this is the nature of a rule or law. It is unbending and the results of breaking them are like reflex actions or pushing the button on a machine. It is unthinking and has no compassion but it merely acts. I believe there is a high level of significance in this, and am very thankful that the mercy seat comes before the Law. The mercy does not nullify the Law, but it covers and protects the recipient.

Ok, I am no expert in this area, but I do know that mercy plays a role in the implementation of these harsh rules. If there is no rule, then grace is not needed or appreciated. The standard has to be there, so that even though to extend mercy is desired, the recipient has to be aware of the standard, and thus, aware of the amount of grace that has been extended to him/her. Repentance seems to also be necessary for mercy to be extended. The presence of the rule or law, coupled with a truly repentant heart of the recipient, has the function of pulling that person back into line with the desired behavior which is the bottom line at the end of the day. In the story of Jonah, he was commanded to go to Ninevah and tell them their city was about to be destroyed, but apparently this was subject to change, because when the city repented, God relented and did not destroy the city. One could make the argument that God broke his Word then, but apparently His wrath is based on a continuing in wrongdoing and can be assuaged by a turning from the sin. Even the OT says that God is slow to anger and quick to forgive. Having said that, He is, by His very nature, the source of all justice, and therefore, in order for Him to forgive, there had to be the eventual payment of this sin debt. I'm sure you know where I'm going with that, and that is a whole other thing, hard to understand.

As harsh as it seems, it is also worthwhile to note that Yahweh is equal opportunity when it comes to sexual sin. Those caught in adultery with those of the opposite sex were also commanded to be stoned.

After saying all that, it occurs to me I haven't really answered your question. The thought of stoning someone is not appealing to me at all. I hesitate to ever say what I would do in a given situation, but I can only say it is always right to follow what Word of the Lord is, assuming you're listening to the true God who cannot do wrong.

• ?

your speaking of "mob" mentality. that is when you simplify your message that even the lowest of the stupid can still carry the torch of the mobs message.

The truth is 10% of the population is gay period. if you believe in god then you should understand god has made 10% that way. it is difficult to teach the mob this because of what i mentioned above

it is most likely genetic traits that make someone gay just as they can make a burly man more manly.

Oh and through out history gays have always been there. Not always allowed to come out of the closet but always have been there.

So to answer your question NO it is not moral to live or act a certain way just because it is "the mob mentality" of that situation

good luck getting a better answer than that

• sugnim

The fascinating thing is, some Christians would like to kill gay people today. Take a look at this question I asked directly asking if people would like to kill gay folks as the Bible commands in Leviticus 20:13:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AtRnl...

• newham

it is totally sweeping to declare that. who're Christian Fundamentalists? truthfully they do no longer all agree? the place is the data that they quote Paul, Revelations and the outdated testomony, particularly than Jesus? How did you come to those conclusions? Is it from adventure you communicate? Any stats or surveys? Why concentration on those human beings? they suspect the Bible do no longer they? The Bible is alongside with all the above. in keeping with probability they are blind to the words of Jesus. reliable factor easily.

If I had lived in that society, and at that time, I would probably have shared their ideas and values. I certainly wouldn't have shared the same mental universe as a twenty first century liberal.

• serf

Unless they are of Jewish descent, in 50 BC they would have been too busy being pagans to care about the OT.

Yes it'd be morally justified for me if I belonged to OT time.

Edit:

Is it wrong to follow the instruction of Bible? How to deny the bible? So I may do it.

• Eh...if the Christian faith is built on love, why have such disgusting laws to begin with?

Edit: I'm glad u asked this Q. Shows their faces quite well.

• ?

where exactly in the old testament does it instruct christians to kill gay people in a gruesome fashion? you need to quote your sources you cant just pull stuff out your ***

I don't think there was even instruction to do just that.

Maybe, "...if a man was caught doing it in the same sex, then they both should be killed..."

If so, I'll join the crowd in stoning them till they die..." they have done abominable thing!