Does gas tank half full save money?

If I only full half my gas tank in my Honda Civic will I get better miles per a gallon because there will be less weight?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Leo
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Wait until you have a quarter tank but don't push this any further. Doing this can extend your gas because you are hauling a lighter fuel load. It also gives you the opportunity to buy more gas if you run across a bargain. However, in cold weather, you run an increased risk of condensation in the fuel tank. Running a car with less than a quarter tank can shorten the life of the electric fuel pump and running on empty will often destroy the pump.

Fill up your car or truck in the morning

Morning is when the temperature is still cool. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground; and the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. When it gets warmer gasoline expands, so if you’re filling up in the afternoon or in the evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and temperature of the fuel (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products) are significant. Every truckload that we load is temperature-compensated so that the indicated gallonage is actually the amount pumped. A one-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for businesses, but service stations don’t have temperature compensation at their pumps.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Since my Civic only hold about 9 gallons, a half tank is about 35 pounds.

You won't notice a single bit of difference over 35 pounds.

Source(s): To have appreciable "less weight" you need some to begin with.
  • lj1
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Any difference in fuel consumption would be unnoticeable. A gallon of gasoline weighs about about 6 pounds. Half a tank for a Civic would be around six gallons (less than 40 pounds of fuel). Any gains in fuel economy would be negligible.

• 10 years ago

NO in theory maybe you have 30 to 50 pounds less weight but in a 3000+ pound car its nothing,,,this goes with the air conditioning questions....would you sit in a sweltering 90 degree car with AC off to save 1 mpg? after paying 1200 to have the ac put in the car..??? heII no..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

It will help save money because it will cut down on evaporation-and prices might go up again by the time its only 1/4 filled!

• 10 years ago

only at the moment you pay for it but other than that your going to have to fill the tank up again eventually, so no it just means more frequent stops at the gas station.

• hog b
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

a few pennies, and not really worth the hassle.

In fact if it means you go more than a couple of hundred yards out of your way, to fill up regularly, that would cost you more than you save.

• 10 years ago

the grammar in this is so horrible that its making me ill

no, thats not enough weight to make a difference, and if you run out of gas then you will get exactly 0 mpg

• 10 years ago

Correct, also your tire pressure makes a huge differance.

• 10 years ago

you might get half a mile more... but seriously no not that you would notice

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.