My Job closed without informing the employees, is that legal?

I worked at a small restaurant as a cook, worked there since october 2010. I was relying on this job to carry me through the summer until I left for school. They sold the business only told the second manager the night before and didn't inform anyone else. Can they do this legally?

• msmag
    Favorite Answer

yes most states have what's called right to hire and fire laws, you signed it when they hired you/ You just didn't pay any attention to it. So yes they can and just did. Like everything most businesses are going under. Help we need jobs!

First, he had an exceedingly valid reason at the back of the termination - agency failure. 2nd, as to the advantages you ought to receive from him for the termination, that must be a functionality of what the corporation ingredients (frequently that is in writing in a handbook), yet no be counted if there are the different advantages may be as much as the agency. must be no longer something in any respect. From what you're saying, you will get 2 months severance pay. I presume it is besides to the pay for the time you worked previous to termination. do no longer understand what the "ban" is so i can't remark on that area of your question. no be counted if the agency is definitely closed, or no longer, would not fairly count form. you will possibly properly be terminated, laid off, on the agency's discretion until you have some variety of written settlement to the alternative.

• rob

yes they can. and they just did.

sucks.

i know of a couple restaurants that never told anyone. one day the door was just locked and the employees were left standing in the parking lot. usually they won't tell anyone because they are weak minded individuals that are to pathetic to admit that they failed.

• Judy

They can and did. Not very nice, but not illegal unless they had 100 or more employees, then something called the WARN law kicks in.

Yes, unfortunately it is legal - -you just happen to work for a bunch of scumbags

Yes they can do that it is legal. It isn't very ethical though.