Firekid asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 10 years ago

James Brown, 1928 or 1933?

I've been researching James Brown, and all of the sources I'm finding give different information. Some say he was born in 1928, some say 1933. Not only that, but the place of his birth is different in almost every source I look at. Does anyone know the real date and place he was born? And if you can, would you link me to an article or book that can be used as a scholarly source that verifies this?

• Will
    Favorite Answer

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, which I trust, he was born in 1933.

I saw James Brown in Oakland in 1978. Got to the show real early and met Sweet Charles Sherrell, James Brown's Keyboard/background vocalist. I commented on James had just turned 50 years old. He concurred that indeed James had just turned 50 confirming that he was born in 1928. A few years later James decided he wanted to be 5 years younger and moved his birth date up to 1933. I must say he did a good job because everyone now believes it. Well, there is the real story. Like or not. Thanks.

Born May 3, 1933, Barnwell, S.C., U.S.—died Dec. 25, 2006, Atlanta, Ga.

• Dwayne4 years agoReport

Sorry but those sources are wrong. Born 1928!!!!!!!!!!! My sources are Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker, Charles Sherrell and Jimmy Nolan. All of them told me James was born in 1928. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.