promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Which nation was accused of occupying and committing modern genocides in both East Timor and West Papua?

I have been trying to find the answer to this for a while but this is the one and only question I just cant seem to find for an answer >_<

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Indonesia

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Indonesia occupied West Papua in 1963 under the New York Agreement, and occupied East Timor (now Timor Leste) in 1975 after military invasion.

Indonesia began campaigns in which political and community leaders disappeared, and began various military operations during which some hundreds of thousands of cilivians were killed as suspected independence supporters. Interestingly Indonesia use to claim there were only around 600 people opposed to Indonesian administration in West Papua although their reason for killing over a hundred thousand was because they were suspected members and supporters of the independence movement. In 1969 US Galbraith estimated 85 to 90% of the West Papuan opposed Indonesian rule. West Papua had the world's richest gold & copper deposits discovered in 1936, now mined by Freeport McMoRan (a pass Rockefeller interest); and East Timor has oil which had been discovered by Portugal Oil in the 1960s and is now being mined by Conoco Phillips (a pass Standard Oil interest). The Yale University Law School published a paper in 2004 titled "Indonesian Human Rights Abuses in West Papua: Application of the Law of Genocide to the History of Indonesian Control"

Source(s): http://wpik.org and reading resources mentioned at that site as well as other newspapers, book, etc.
  • Wayne
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It is Indonesia. The whole East Timor business of today was started by them killing the people of East Timor. Indonesia has also annexed West Papua as part of their country, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was going on there also.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.