promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous

Why did there stop being black singers like Tina Turner, Jimi Hendrix and now there's people like?

Nicki Minaj, T-Pain, etc.

Why did rock music and r&b music get pushed to the side in the black community for r&b infused with hip hop. I guess I'm saying, how did hip hop take over black music?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are singers out there but hiphop and rap get all the promotion because it is the top seller right now. Just have to do research to find new singers. Hip hop didn't take over black music, 65% of people who buy rap and hiphop are white. To me that is now white music. never listened to it, never will.. Try listening to internet radio instead, plenty of good R&B there,almost everywhere you look. Try the link below or just use mediaplayer radio to listen /

>_<

http://www.radiorow.com/stations/soul.htm

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because we are living in a different age,era,time,new music style,and millenium of course.But there are still some music out there that are just like compared to Tina and those others you mentioned mostly Soul and such like that.Please remember,there's complete different varieties of black music so don't try to group them all together.Also,that's just what happens when the younger generation want to change into new things.

• 4 years ago

Actually, Jimi Hendrix was black, Cherokee, and Irish.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Albeit Jimi, Tina and Aretha being great singers, the music wasint really representing the black community. People wanted to hear art basesd on the reality of poverty, oppression and danger associated in black communities and the inner city.

Tt was the explosion of NWA and the free speaking of ghetto life and the major disconnection with police and government that set the tone America wanted to hear.

its all generational, one day someone will ask why people listen to the bleep bloop instead of rap music like t-pain, nwa, 2-pac, jay-z etc.

People also have apparently gotten tired and desensitized to gun violence in music also.

Only the Autotune has prevailed...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Beats me but I miss those days when black people weren't cursed with the weight of hip hop.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

White people worked hard at controlling black artist way back when black people had a hard time living under segregation.With that being said we shaped black music alot and not in a good way.

• 3 years ago

Singers Like Tina Turner

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jimi Hendrix wasn't a singer, he was a guitar player that happened to sing (horribly). And let's not pretend that Jimi was exactly a friend to black people back then. He was ignored by black people his entire life. Only after he was dead did black people want to claim him. As far as the current state of music goes, labels put out the bullshyte that people want to buy. Stop buying bullshyte and they'll stop making bullshyte.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dumbing down

• 1 decade ago

Because music died mid 80s.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.