Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 10 years ago

Homemade baby foods Vs jars?

Is there a difference in the nutrional value? Is homemade really more healthy than jarred food? Or is it mostly the same?

My baby is just about to start solids and I want to homemake the majority of his foods. My family however, are insisting that jarred foods are just as good these days and that I'd be wasting my time.

Is that true?

• WGAFF
    Favorite Answer

No its not true....Did you know gerber won the "Salt Lick" award this year for their toddler meals??? http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/2010-Canad... They had the highest content of salt than any other prepared food available on the market...Alot of them use fillers and other things so going homemade really ensures that you know for a fact what your child is getting...On top of that it is alot more expensive to use jarred foods....Maybe theres nothing wrong with it but i personally dont think its the same.....

If you have the time and inclination to make then go for it...It will be good for both of you and your wallet.

Good Luck and have fun!

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/cost.htm

http://www.healthcastle.com/baby_foods_commercial....

I have come across some jarred baby foods which are very similar to homemade food. I looked at the ingredients, they were just the pureed veggie and some water, no starches or any additives. But this was the basic starter "stage 1" food. Those "Mom's Recipe" jars and things like "strained spaghetti" and "strained casserole" are the ones you have to look out for. Full of salt and additives. So I'd say you could get away with getting jarred food in the beginning (watching the ingredients very carefully), but once your baby gets a little bit older, you can start with homemade food.

This website is a great reference. I use it all the time. Have fun with it! Because it really is all about having fun learning new things with your baby.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

• Cheryl

I use homemade at home and jars when out and about. the only thing i have found is that the jars are easier to eat, ie my lumpy food is a lot lumpier than the jars. he manages the food i make just fine, but if he has a jar for lunch, then i quite often find that at tea time he fusses and wants his food smoother. we think this is because he is tired and can remember his last meal was really smooth and he didn't have to chew much. I do make sure I buy organic jars with no sugars or nasty additives in them. Thats my compromise. if its not homemade it'll be the best jars I can get!

I haven't tried jarred baby foods yet, I make everything fresh- but I'm guessing homemade fresh baby food is healthier then jarred foods. First of all, the food is fresh and if you get the veggies and fruits from your garden (or someone's garden) or buy it organic you know that it's super healthy. They put preservatives and chemicals in baby food, that's why it always tastes sweeter and better (to adults) then homemade foods. I started her on cereal at four months (cereal and oats) so I obviously bought the cereal, but I make her veggies homemade. So far I have made carrots, squash and sweet potato. They eat so little (only a couple tablespoons a meal), and if you freeze properly it can last up to 3 months without going bad, therefore it's a money saver too. It's easy to make too- peal, wash, steam, cut, puree with some water.

Well, I would think that homemade is healthier, because you wouldn't be adding any preservatives or fillers in it.

Even IF the nutritional value was the same, with homemade foods, you know exactly how the food was prepared, and what is in it!

Baby foods packaged in plastic are heat processed which could leak plastic chemicals into the food!

When it comes to meat, I will never feed my baby store bought baby meats....I've read more than one meat industry book where anonymous workers say that all the gross, some spoiled parts of meat are thrown into the machine that grinds the meat into baby food. They also have fillers in them which are labeled as 'gravy'

besides, making baby food isn't that time consuming if you make big batches at a time(and freeze them), instead of a few servings every day.

the jars would be nutritionaly as good as a home cooked meal, BUT the home cooked food will taste nice and you'll get your baby used to the foods the family like from the start and will thereby avoid the food rejection that many jar feeding mums experience when they start giving their child normal family foods.

you would most certainly not be wasting your time. i fed my first child jar food and also had the food rejection when we tried to introduce her to family foods. she's 11 years old and is still the pickiest eater and won't even try new things. my two sons were both weaned on home cooked foods and they will eat anything i cook, be it something new or tried and tested. it IS worth the extra effort in years to come.

oh, and if you are tempted to just use jars, maybe buy one beforehand and taste it for yourself and then make your mind up. (they are bland and tasteless, and the only way i can describe some of the meat varieties is "canned dogfood")

Well, I do a combo since I'm staying home and have the time and it saves us money. I've compared, but there's really not much difference nutritionally. I like knowing specifically what goes into my baby's body. I enjoy picking out the organic produce and taking the time to prepare it and freeze it for her. My 8 months old eats yogurt and tahini from the store, as well as baby cereal (easy to make your own, but I'm lazy). I really just do fruits and veggies. I'm frequently out with my baby, so I keep a few jars of baby food on hand because it's easier to deal with than frozen cubes. I buy the jarred baby food when it goes on sale (Target always has one brand or another on sale).

I don't think you're wasting your time. I certainly don't feel like I am and it really doesn't take all that long to do! I like having the best of both worlds and using both methods.

I loosely follow Ruth Yaron's "Super Baby Food Diet," which is a good resource of making and storing your own food. Another good site is wholesomebabyfood.com. Good luck!

Source(s): superbabyfood.com wholesomebabyfood.com Personal experience

There is no difference in nutritional value. The main difference is cost and convenience. Making your own is less than half the cost of purchased, jarred food. I recommend jarred foods over homemade if you are feeding baby away from home as sealed jarred food is free from bacteria.

Your family IS correct that the baby food industry have eliminated most of the issues that parents complained about such as salt and fillers. Pureeing meat IS more difficult unless you have a blender or baby food grinder.

How tough is it to take a banana and mash it? Mom can eat the rest of the banana. You can make applesauce in a microwave in 3-5 minutes. Again, mom can eat the rest.

• :)

Well, overall with vegetables and fruit the fresher it is the higher the nutritional value plus fresh foods are higher in antioxidants. It's not a HUGE difference but, for me it was worth it to make my own. I didn't even freeze my purees - I made them daily and fresh. Sometimes I had to buy jarred, in this case I bought Earth's Best or Gerber Organic (not Gerber often). I have talked to nutritionists at the hospital I work at and they'll all agree the homemade or fresh is better but, most jarred is not bad.

Plus you know exactly what's in the food when it's homemade. No need to worry about recalls and such, not to mention horrible perervatives in some jarred foods. I buy organic produce,btw.

Source(s): Nicu nurse, and mommy
  • I do both. My daughter will not eat homemade food if its been frozen. And I can't always make something baby friendly fresh each day. So I use a mix of both. Also, where I live the cost of fruits and some veggies is through the roof this time of year. So its way cheaper for me to buy rather then make. We are however moving in 3 weeks back to our hometown where things are much cheaper so she will be eating way more fresh foods which is great.

• Layla

Nutrition wise, they're supposed to be the same, however they're all of the same consistency whereas if you puree your homemade food, the texture will be slightly different each time which helps when you begin to give lumpier foods because they're more used to textures. Also, in homemade food, you can give them a little taster of ingredients you like to eat a lot of eg. if you like a lot of garlic, you can start giving them a taste for it. I give my son homemade food most of the time but I always have some jars in as a back up, just in case we happen to have a take away one night or whatever, but he always seems to enjoy the homemade food more! x