LDS, Mormons, if your current prophet Thomas Monson?

Say,

If he were to start teaching negative things (say at your general conference) to the membership, would that be OK? or not?

EVEN if it was just Monson's opinion?

As compared to Brigham Young as his statements and teachings being called now "His opinions"?

Would he be allowed to do that? or would he be stopped by membership?

Say they are false and or hateful?

Would he be seen as a false prophet?

Honestly?

Thoughts?

Rac, Why did God NOT remove Brigham Young?

Young taught, blacks ("flat nose and black skin") were cursed, if you "mix seed with a black man it will BE death on the spot", "your blood has to atone for some sins", "Polygamy is required for Godhood", "ADAM was the Lord", "Christians were of the brute beast." ETC...

Maid, We're not talk about the earth being flat...(oh my)

Were talking about spewing hate in the name of the Lord. OK?

Maid, but when a so called "true" prophet of GOD brings God, Heaven, and things about a man's salvation, INTO the statement (over and over) that's a WHOLE different situation....Think about it.

Its not just his opinion it is what he believe about the religion he is the leader of. See?

• slcbtf
    Best Answer

You neglected to recognize the whole concept of precept upon precept the Lord reveals His ways....

Perhaps you did this on purpose. The restoration of the gospel did not end when Joseph walked out of that grove...nor did it end in Carthage. Line upon line it is continuing to be restored to it's fullness.

I'll tell you what I do see in President Monson. He is a man who spends his time uplifting others. He stands for what is right no matter what the world thinks. A prophet has not always been popular from Babylon's perspective. President Monson not only teaches to be better and good he lives it. He exemplifies what he teaches.

Compare that to your actions. I don't know what you do at home, but I have certainly seen what you do here on this site. He is by far a better example of what a Christian is than what I have seen from those who waste their time attacking the LDS faith.

The same goes for Brigham Young. It is obvious you have ignored the many explanations for his teachings and sermons. Too often you take a mined quote, and while plugging your ears and shutting your eyes, claim this is what the Mormons teach....blah blah blah... I'm sorry, I've read your quotes in context and I say you are wrong. You have misrepresented, misquoted, and generalized about everything you posted against the LDS faith. What has happened to you does not reflect what has happened to me.

If Thomas S. Monson said something I found questionable (Which he NEVER has and I doubt ever will), I would ask study, ponder, and ask God if this teaching was inspired or just an opinion and would act on the revelation I received.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that EVERY time a prophet says ANYTHING negative, he is no longer a prophet? That's realistic. By your logic, Isaiah is not a prophet because he said the Earth was flat in Isaiah 11: 12 and Peter is not an Apostle because he denied Jesus Christ THREE TIMES.

I have a question for you Julymoon:

Why is it that you find fault with MODERN prophets because of the stupid things they said, yet you NEVER find fault with ANCIENT, BIBLICAL prophets for the stupid things THEY said?

NO ONE WILL EVER BE A PROPHET IN YOUR EYES BECAUSE IN YOUR OPINION, PROPHETS HAVE TO BE PERFECT!

EDIT:

What's the difference? A statement that the Earth is flat is as untrue and unfounded as any racist statement. In Isaiah's time, it was the cultural norm to believe the Earth was flat and in Brigham Young's time, it was the cultural norm to believe in racism. Prophets are human, they get swayed by their culture, and they say untrue, unfounded things.

Source(s): LDS
  • Kerry

One thing that I think you are missing with just such a question, is that the very nature of Revelation is that it is given by God to address the needs and circumstances of the times. That is why, in the Bible in Amos 3L7, God will no nothing except he revealeth his will to his servants the prophets. In other words, God would let his children go drifting on without his words or intervention unless he has a prophet to speak to. And that is why one is needed, though all dispensations of time. Because addresses the specific circumstances o and needs of the current times, and reveals his will accordingly.

So

, what may have been the pertinent needs of Noah, or Moses, or Brigham Young, may not be the specific needs of today. God reveals those specific needs to his current specific prophet.

Source(s): Lifelong Mormon

I couldn't help but to be astonished at "Maid Mesmera's" comment on Isaiah 11:12. The prophet is NOT expressing his opinion as to the form of the Earth is concerned.

First, there are references that some Bible writers would speak from the standpoint of an observer on Earth in figures of speech from their specific geographical place as we do today. For example in Numbers 2:3 refers to "the rising of the sun". (Also see Psalm 46:9; 22:27)

It is very common even today to refer to the "sunset" and "sunrise" as if the sun was the only moving object and the Earth still.

John, in Revelation 7:1 repeats a similar expression as Isaiah by revealing that he "saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth [...]"

These expressions cannot be used to prove that the hebrew and greek writers understood the Earth to be square and not even flat. We need to remember that the writers were compelled by the holy spririt to write God's thoughts and by allowing them to use their own writing styles, "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." - 1Peter 1:21

And second, if her argument is true, then he would contradict himself since Isaiah wrote the following in 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:"

We see the beautiful metaphors used in many parts of Scripture applied so that we have just a grasp of God's knowledge and wisdom.

Do we not see how different were these so called modern prophets and the true and real prophets of past?

Source(s): The Holy Scriptures
  • Cheryl

YOu have no faith young lady. Become a member of the true church and you will know it. The lord warns us about people like you. The lords true church is persecuted more now then it has ever been, as lord told us that it would be The proclamation is actually a prophecy that came from the Lord!!!! You are one of those people who put down other people. Satan loves this contention. You are doing the will of satan if you put others down. Judge not lest ye be judged. The lord also said. Repent and come unto the Lord. He will forgive you of your Blasphemy and sins.

anything preached as revelation in a general conference is doctrine.

You can not find anything by Brigham Young, spoken in Conference, accepted by the church, that I would not agree with. The same thing goes for President Monson.

"Its not just his opinion it is what he believe about the religion he is the leader of. See?"

The problem with this is that Mormons claim that the church is lead by Christ. not the prophet. The prophet is completely able to make mistakes about doctrine of the church, because he is not the one who makes the doctrines.

• You should read the Journal of Discourses. Many of those teachings WERE Gen Conf addresses, and have subsequently been branded "false doctrine" by other prophets.

• phrog

if any prophet taught things I was unfamiliar with or even disagreed with --- it is MY responsibility as a member of the LDS church to study, ponder, research, and pray until I receive an answer from God accordingly.

......and it is not doctrine until it is - and until it is sustained as doctrine in conference, it is neither binding nor doctrine.

the same with BY - this isn't "new".

false prophet? no. again - the LDS realize that ALL prophets (isaiah, jonah, etc for instance) are fallible human beings who upon occasion speak for God. I am under no obligation to agree with opinions - no matter who or where they come from.....however, I am bound by my level of social graces as to how and if I choose to respond to such.

@Prog -

the LDS church filed EVERYTHING (including in-kind donations which 'upped' the total) with the state of CA on time and as required.....too bad the media couldn't keep up or jumped the gun. prop 8 lost by the VOTE - not the money - and the LDS could not swing the CA vote if they all voted 10 times.

• rac

We have been promised that God will not allow the prophet to lead us astray. If he were to do so, God would remove him.

Therefore, your question is moot. I have complete faith in the calling of our prophets.

Source(s): LDS

Actually...he's already been caught lying.

http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/StopTheLies

Keep in mind, the church filed a false campaign spending report (authorized and approved by Monson) claiming they spent only a couple thousand dollars on the Prop. 8 campaign. Everyone involved in CA knew that was false, and an investigation was started. A few months later, the church quietly filed an "amended" report, stating about $200,000 worth of spending. Monson himself was quoted as saying the church spending on Prop. 8 was "almost nothing" before the election -- a flat-out lie. He also said the church itself was "not involved," another flat-out lie (the church organized rallies, sent speakers, and ran phone banks).

Peace.

I have to ask you julymoon -- why do you spend so much of your energy attempting to internally be able to justify why they have left the full gospel of Jesus Christ, and only practice in partial? ...just a question....

Source(s): non-mormon