how to get started in real estate?

I would like to become a real estate agent. Where should I begin?

35 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sitting in the office listening to the other agents tell you what will not work is not the key to being a successful real estate agent.

The key to having a successful career in the real estate field are simply and easy to follow.

#1 Get the necessary education to get your state license.

A. An internet class would do just fine you are only trying to get your license.

B. If you like to sit through a class then find a real estate school in your local area.

C. Some real estate offices offer career real estate license school in their office

#2 Obtain the necessary continuing education to maintain and keep your license to sell real estate up to date.

#3 Formalize the best marketing plan you can think of to maintain a high degree of referrals and a good customer base.

You may listen to others that are successful and those that are unsuccessful tell you about what they do that work and what they do that don't work for them.

You are not them so, what might work or not work for them might be the reverse for you. So take what they tell you and put them into something that work for you.

Starting part time might work for some and not for others. It simply depends on how many hours a day you are willing to put into your new career and how bad you want to leave your old career behind. Sometime your present career can be a crutch.

The main thing you want to remember about making real estate your career is that you are working for yourself, so you are the one that have to motivate yourself each and every day.

You want to become an expert in real estate not just a person that sell and list houses. There is a big difference.

There are several marketing techniques that are in use today.

#1 There is telemarketing, but then there is the "Do not call list" So you have to be careful there and not make a mistake or you will be sued. Cost is $11,000 per call for you as well as your employer.

#3 Advertise in the local newspaper that you are now in the business of doing real estate.

#4 You can direct mail to people in your city telling them you are in the real estate business.

I suggest you market yourself by leaving the office and spending time in a area that you want to work and get to know the people that could be your future clients.

Find an area in your city that you want to work approximately 5,000-10,000 houses. Make you enough fliers to cover your area. If you have children this will be a good weekend activity for them as well as yourself. While walking the area passing out your fliers, if you see someone out doing the lawn or just out introduce yourself, give them one of your cards. See if they are willing to give you their name and email address so you can email them, on a monthly basis, things about the real estate industry as well as your monthly newsletter. Place any information you collect in a data base that you should start.

Your flier should tell them a little about you, the high school and college you attended, a little about your family # of children, husbands first name if you have a family yet, a few of the real estate programs that you will be offering and introducing. This is an introductory flier that you can make on your computer. You can get them ran off at Staples or Office Depot.

You should pass these type fliers out at least 3 months in a row. This will let them know that you are sincere and look as if you will be there for them.

You should also visit the local commercial places in the same area. Find out if they will allow you to place a flier holder in their business, give them one of your business cards, find out their

name, write it down you never want to forget it because they will become one of your partners. buy something even if you are gonna give it away and don't need it. Do this to as many commercial businesses in the area as will allow you to place a flier holder in their place of business. You will find the flier holders at Staples or Office Depot.

Call the post office and inquire about their bulk mailing stamp. Get one and learn the system of bulk mailing.

Also call your title company and get them to provide you with the names of the people in your area that you have been passing out your flier.

Remember your data base you were starting and now should have over a thousand names that you alone should have been able to get if you have been walking the area.

Once you have passed out the fliers for at least 3-4 months start you a newsletter covering topics on the real estate business. Get articles from your local newspaper as well as off the internet. Just remember to give credit to the author of the article. You might have a doctor, lawyer or some other professional to help you on your articles. Charge them for the articles, about 50% of the cost of the newsletter.

Now remember the businesses that you had your fliers in and you now know their names because you have been there to change your fliers abou

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Getting into real estate is a better idea but select the right path in it. Starting as a real estate agent know the market values and the place where you invest. Learn the tips and techniques that guides you in avoiding failures. Try to to pick out the risk associated with real estate and work accordingly. The major part of real estate is manage the properties yourself and keep everything under control to become a successful realtor.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Real estate agents and brokers are the most knowledgeable real estate market analysts in their market areas ... in most cases. However, the most successful real estate investors are also very involved in local market statistics, and they are quite adept at valuations. Their focus is limited however, as they are usually working in limited price ranges and tightly control the property types they want.

Back in the boom market leading up to 2006, almost anyone could be a successful real estate investor, so the pool was larger and guppies were swimming with the sharks. However, during the crash, and in this so-called improving market, it's not nearly as easy to stumble on a deeply discounted distressed property or a foreclosure. It's even harder to keep a long list of investor buyers interested in rental properties. They're out there, but it's getting progressively harder to get a good enough deal on a purchase, plow in the money for rehab, and then make a profit selling to a value-conscious rental property investor.......Property Management Bendigo

Attachment image
  • 6 years ago

Stepping into real estate can be a better strategy but pick the best way in-it. Starting being a real estate agent understand industry values along with the position where you invest. Understand in preventing failures practices and the tips that courses you. Try and to pick the risk connected with real estate out and work appropriately.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I think, Whether you're about to search out your real estate license, or you've begin your profession as a new real estate broker, this plan of action will help you to do the correct things at the right times for a winning start of your real estate agent career. And for starting new real estate business we have deep knoeledge of real estate market

• 6 years ago

The field that is main element to presenting an effective job inside the real estate are simply and easy to follow. Obtain the required knowledge to really get your state permit. Have the essential continuing education preserve and to keep up your certificate to sell up real estate to date. The best advertising plan-you could think of a customer base that is superior along with to keep up a higher level of recommendations. Engaging in property can be a better concept but select the right path inside. Starting like a realtor learn the marketplace the location where you invest as well as beliefs. The simplest way to become property agent will be to use reputed agent, who is currently working in this area from several years.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Read on to find out some of the more overlooked aspects of the real estate ... looking for a new home, and that referral may get you started in your new business. Houston about four months ago and received my real estate license a week ago and am very excited about my new career. click here to more information. Go here: Real Estate Agent Geelong

Attachment image
  • 5 years ago

While getting started in real estate, it's quite difficult but then have a knowledge of all real estate in nearby areas who wanna sell or buy real estate. Also list your real estate business in local sites or in ads.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

At first consult with a person who is in real estate business. After that you will get some ways to get started in this field.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

One of the many steps to begin the courses is to complete the real estate courses offered by Ontario Real Estate Association (OREA). If you are looking to start a real estate career with a global brand and become well known across Canada with assistance to complete the study check the sources below.

Source(s): www.century21president.com http://www.century21.ca/presidentrealty/Careers
  • 6 years ago

Don't become an agent. You are simply working for a broker. Buy property (and notes, etc...) Become an investor and make your own future. I had people laugh at me when I purchased Carlton Sheets program (there are others) from late night TV who believe you couldn't buy with no money down (they didn't understand no money down meant no money of your own) and now I'm laughing all the way to the bank each month. You get out what you put in (yes I went to real estate school, total waste of time and money). You can educate yourself and I didn't have the internet when I started. PS Mobile Homes are really a GOLD MINE.

Source(s): $$$$$
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.