Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysOther - Holidays · 10 years ago

what does "Cinco De Mayo" mean?

Today one of my english teachers are celebrating "Cinco De Mayo" but i have no clue whatsoever' what does it mean?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

wow, all this answers were wrong!!! I mean it is as easy as wikipedia it but ok, May fifith its when the mexican army beat the french in Puebla, in Mexico this date is called the battle of puebla. Not many mexicans knows it as "cinco de mayo"

• 10 years ago

May 5, observed by Mexican communities in Latin America and Mexican-American communities in the United States in commemoration of the 1862 defeat of French troops at the Battle of Puebla.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THERE INDEPENDENCE! THATS SEPTEMBER 16

• 4 years ago

Casse toi could be translated as - scram or get lost, and pauvre con would be idiot or jerk. It sounds much more piquant in French though so rough translations don't do justice to what he said. It's really street language and not something dignified that you would expect from the head of state of a major power.

• 10 years ago

Cinco = five De = of Mayo = May

5th of May

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

The fifth of May in spanish, and it is NOT mexican independence Day, but a day the Mexican military defeated the Spaniards in an important battle, basically just an important day for Americans, enabling them to have an excuse to drink.

• 10 years ago

5th of May :) we had a spanish party today to celebrate cinco de mayo mmmm mmmm good lol

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The 5th of May. It is a remembrance day when Mexico was liberated.

• 10 years ago

It means: the 5th of May...apparently something to do with mexico's independence from spain.

• 10 years ago

May fifth

Mexican holiday similar to our Fourth of July.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

it stands for may fith and its a mexican holyday celebrating a batlle of independence from france

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.