a little help please?

This question was recently posted in the religion section of yahoo answers. We are kind of sick of it. It needs to be here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. here goes:

Are there any atheists who object that DNA is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism?

My assertion is that the sequence of base pairs in DNA is a code.This statement is fully and explicitly supported in virtually all of the scientific literature since the 1960's.

All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.

Therefore DNA was designed by a mind.

If you can provide an empirical example of a code or language that occurs naturally, you've toppled my proof. All you need is one.

6 minutes ago - 4 days left to answer.

Additional Details

Post number one-Yes, but random processes cannot create information.

As an atheist, I think the person asking wants to stump us (and has). Somehow that equals proof of a god.. namely their god. Would one of you please answer this question so that I can forward it to the asker and end this. thanks.

Favorite Answer

just because we dont know where a code came from doesnt prove god. it proves nothing but the fact that we dont know. maybe we havent discovered why or cant understand. we used to think the earth was flat and the smallest particle was an atom, until science got better. just bc we dont know the answer doesnt mean its a god by default. it means we dont know. period. how does not knowing prove a magical being made it. we have no more proof that a god can make a code then we do that natural processes made it.

While I respect your sentiment whole heartedly, specifically with regards to the philosophical question about what it means for something to be a "code", I don't know that I agree.

I could sit here an explain to you the events leading to the "code" of DNA, through thermodynamic principles, however I don't think that would satiate your inquisition. Which, in all reality, it shouldn't.

If you really want something that will blow your mind. Check out the levinthal paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levinthal's_paradox

This was explained to me in an undergrad biochem class, and I found it rather interesting. Sadly, however, there is a pretty logical model for how it really works.

I agree with it wholeheartedly. Let's stop fighting on this thing. There's already enough hate going around. Agree to disagree and drop it. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. Or lack thereof