15 YEAR OLD AND PARENTS HELP!?

I'm 15 years old and I have ADHD and ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder. Basically means I don't take "no" very well as an answer). Today, I came home from umping a Little League baseball game. I walked in the door and my dad asked "Hi. How are you?" I was frustrated because my grades aren't as good as I'd like them to be. I replied to him "Don't talk to me". He said "What did you just say?" and I replied "Don't talk to me". He said again "How are you?" and I replied "Shut up!" in a rude tone. My parents then got mad and grounded me. My dad demanded an apology and I asked him to elaborate on what I'm apologizing for. I have a guy I go to when I need advice. He has a PhD in child psychology and he didn't answer. My parents got mad at me for calling and the story went on..

About 10 minutes later, I talked to my parents about this. I told them I didn't have to tell them what went on in my life. My mom replied "You have to do whatever we make you do". Is this true? And could anybody please cite their information about this? I don't want any BS answers. Thanks.

• мegan
    Favorite Answer

You're under 18 living in their house. They have every right to demand an apology if you're being rude and disrespectful to them. You're legally a minor until you're 18 so basically your word means nothing against your parent's. You should be learning how to manage the disorder too, and your doctor is supposed to be helping you do so; not holding you by the hand, leading you through everything.

However your parents do have the right to know what goes on in their child's life. And you have the right to not share every detail. You could have just said that you had a bad day and you didn't want to talk about it, instead of being rude to your dad.

Having any disorder of any kind does not excuse you from being rude to your parents.

Source(s): Common sense

Well, I see you know that that you have ADHD and ODD. However, just because you have this awareness, doesn't give you a free pass to be rude to people and not try to control your emotions. That's not only disrespectful but lazy. And yes, you pretty much do have to do what your parents want you to do. You are not 18 and even if you were, respecting parents never stops. Despite your imbalances in your brain, you are old enough to start taking control of your actions and being held accountable. How do you think an officer of the law would have handled your attitude? I can tell you now, not very well. Let this grounding be a lesson to you for future references. The law and your bosses at work won't tolerate attitude. At 15, everything you are being taught now at home is preparing you for adulthood in a few years, and yes, it will be here before you know it. So if I were you, I would learn to start shaping up and getting myself under control right now.

Source(s): Have legal blindness, mild bipolarism and high anxiety.
  • Julie

10

First off, you're 15 years old. That makes you a minor -- so, technically speaking, while living under your parents roof you have certain responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to respect your parents. Just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you can take it out on someone just because they speak to you. Your dad asked how you were, that's it. You could've just said "fine" (if you didn't want to talk about your problem) or even "not so good" (if you did) and none of this drama would've happened.

It's simple: respect your parents and they'll respect you.

Your parents aren't trying to torture you - they're trying to help you. How hard is it to tell them that you're worried about your grades? It's not like they're trying to find new ways to make you angry, new ways to ruin your life, new ways to bug you every day. They're trying to raise a child who won't shut people out every time something goes wrong.

Stop fighting so hard against them. It might seem like its you vs them, but it really isn't. They're on your side. Stop trying to win the fight, and listen for a change.

They can't FORCE you to talk to them, but they're desperate to get you to talk. But they ARE your guardians and can do things like send you to military school if they think it's in your best interest. They have MUCH more legal power over your life than you do.

U are lucky u ain't my dad's kid. He don't believe in ADHD and all that stuff from USA that is basically made up crap so parents don't gotta do their jobs.

My dad woulda knocked u into next week for backtalkin him like that. U probably woulda got grounded too.

so your real question asking whether or not you have to do whatever your parents make you do, yes?

well yea, thats true.

since you're 15, you are not a legal adult yet; according to the government you aren't old enough to make your own decisions;

so yea, pretty much you have to do what your parents say; unless its illegal or immoral.

plus, its the right thing to do

hope this helps :)

well you did seem really grouchy to him he was just being nice and trying to talk to you.also you are not 18 yet and you are not an adult so yes you do have to listen to your parents.maybe if you try to control your anger and stuff untill your by yourself then things would go better. i lived with my mom and just recently moved out and got married. but while i was under her roof i did have to listen to her.which my mom wasnt like super strict or anything but still.its best just not to ask questions it will go a lot smoother.

Until you can be legally Emancipated you have to listen to them and everything they tell you to do, or wait until you are 18. But I am 14 and refuse to let my parents tell me what to do, I get in a lot of trouble....but I have an opinion and i stay by it

Its good that you called your "guy you go to". Having at least one person you feel safe talking to is HUGE! I cant say much because I don't know what your parents are like or your home situation..but please just know where your resources are and use them (like any counselors you have, teachers you might like..etc) and try to avoid causing fights in your house..you be better for it.

Good luck, man.

Source(s): Was a teenager once in a volitile home.