Does "putting your arms up" actually help you stop choking?

I have met instructors that say, "No, it actually makes it worse because the object gets lodged even further in the vitim's throat".

While others don't really mention it.

Does "putting your arms up" actually help you stop choking?

Also, when people are choking most suggest taking a drink, which I, personally, think makes it worse but what are your thoughts?

Bonus Question: Would you use the infant heimlich maneuver (over the knee, back slaps) or the child heimlich maneuver (standing up giving chest thrusts) on a toddler/young child around 2,3,4,5, and 6?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The best thing to do is keep coughing. It is more important to do that then raise your hands up. I don't believe it helps at all.

If the person who is choking has stopped coughing and started to breath normally then it is safe to give them water. Remember to go into CPR if they become unresponsive. ( if someone is choking they cant swallow).

only do back slaps if the child is less the 1 and a half years old. Other wise get down to the child's level and do the heimlich.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

if they are making noise, they are still getting enough air, and their body is still working to get the foreign object out, don't interfere, don't slap them on the back, if no noise, then, yes the heimlich maneuver, or the closest you can remember to it, pushing up on the stomach and lung area from the solar plexus with both of your hands held together around the person from behind. for my small babies, i lifted them by their legs and held them upside down, it worked...they are all grown now.

Source(s): life
  • 1 decade ago

no it will not help you stop chocking it will just let the people that are around you know that you are chocking so they can try to help you taking a drink probally isnt a good idea because the thing that is stuck is just going to make everything worse by adding water to that mixture if you have no one to help you your best bet is to go up to a chair and give yourself the hemlich manuver to yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.