How can I get a toilet that flushes more than 1.6 gallons?

I have to replace an older toilet in my house. But I don't want one of those low-flush toilets where you have to flush twice under... certain circumstances.

Is 1.6 GPF now considered to be the high-end flush standard?

(And by the way, how much should I pay for a decent toilet?)

Favorite Answer

black market...... i cant believe all those storys about having to flush a low consumtion toilet twice are still hanging around....it was true for the first few years with certain models.....but now a days most work just fine....but like anything else there is still a chance of buying a lemon...just do some research... and buy a major brand toilet not some new type...american standard...kohler..expect to pay around $250.00..some 1 piece models come with a seat. most others dont...1 piece models can be extremly heavy and difficult to install

• steveo4 years agoReport

I frequently flush 2 times, which amounts to 3.2 gallons per use & I have new Kohler & American Standard. I have a powder room that has a 1.28 gallon kohler that I would pay someone to come & take away, it's embarrasing to have to tell guests to not go #2 there. Stinking, tree-hugging ECO-wackos

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): toilet flushes 1 6 gallons: https://biturl.im/L8pcP
  • Tom C

I am pretty sure almost all toilets have a low gallon tank. It is water conservation. Even in extreme situations, you rarely need that much water to dispose of the waste.

The bigger issue, that I think would help your scenario, is flushing power. Some toilets out there, just don't have very much power. They clog up from too much TP, to large of stool, or for whatever reason. Increasing the water, won't change that really. Honestly, you would just end up wasting more water and inflating your water bill while keeping your problem. A higher flush pressure would make sure that everything in the bowl goes out the pipes efficiently.

The problem is, without specific plumbing, I am not sure you can get higher powered toilets in homes. Most residential toilets use gravity as the source of toilet pressure. You pull the plug in the tank, the water rushes out, and the toilet is flushed. Anything that is powered, might cost a lot more than you would expect.

So you might just have to suck it up and flush twice. That or lay off the greasey food for a better, and less messy, poop.

• uli

3 Gallon Toilet

• Mary

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avPPN

Some people are old school and rarely change the water. I change the water 25% once or twice per week. Change the water, it won't hurt anything. Most important is to make sure the ammonia levels stay at zero.. the levels increase with lack of fresh water unless you constantly medicate. Fresh water is much better for the fish and is SOOOO much less expensive than medicating the water to reduce the ammonia levels. 16 gallons is comparable to say flushing the toilet 3 or 4 times.. that being said, just change the water.. I have 2 -75 gal tanks as well as a 40 gal. and barely noticed any change in my water bill. sounds crazy, but a small tank such as yours will be much more difficult to maintain than larger ones due to toxicity levels increasing much quicker in small tanks (there will be less room for error).

I think you would have to get it on the black market. hahahahaha. But I think that toilets have to be 1.6 Gallons now by law or something. But I have two in my house and they're both great. There are no problems with them. It's just the old ones that were water-efficient had problems. I don't know how much they cost though. I think my dad just went to Home Depot and picked out a mid-range priced one that was sort of high off the ground (because my family is tall).

The water change schedule depends on if the tank is already cycled or not. If it isn't cycled, you want to do a partial water change of betweeen 10-30% every time the Ammonia or Nitrites read 0.25 ppm or above (I answered your other question about when to test). Once your tank is cycled, you want to do between 25-40% every week. I say 25% as a minimum because you have Cory Cats, and they are more sensitive to Nitrates than other fish, which is why you don't want to do only a 10% or 20% water change per week with those guys in your tank.

• Alex M

There's a 1995 or 1996 U.S. law that limits new toilets to 1.6 gpf and I believe shower heads are limited to 2.5 gpm. I'm trying to locate the title of that law.

I bought a champion 3 at the depot last year for around $120 (US) and cant be happier. It uses very little water but somehow manages to gobble up even the liberal droppings I leave after a trip to the local Indian buffet. Just because a toilet uses less water doen't mean it can't do the job.

Get a modern one.When you flush a toilet you waste 3 gallons of water.