Is "often" pronounced "offen" or "off-ten"?

Often is often pronounced "off-ten." Others say "offen." I often wonder: which way is the right way to pronounce often?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are three words in the English language where there is a silent 't' in the middle of the word.

often

soften

chestnut

It's pronounced "offen". You never hear anyone pronounce soften as "sof-ten" do you?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

OFF-in. Do you say MOIS-ten or LIS-ten or SOF-ten? The "T" is silent, and to pronounce it is often a form of hypercorrection or something there is no word for but which could be defined as "ridiculous pride in being able to read just enough to know that the 'T' is there and not wanting to let that knowledge go to waste, stupidly supposing that those who pronounce the 'T' are more literate." Of course, there are dialects where the "T" has always been pronounced, but Standard American English does not pronounce the "T".

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

I said off-ten for years. As a college student on the debate team, my speech professor and coach informed me that the correct pronunciation is off-en without the t. For the last fifteen years, I have been corrected repeatedly by others in the south who assume that the correct pronunciation is off-ten... I will continue to pronounce the word as off-en since that is how I was taught at the university.

• 3 years ago

Offen Or Often

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): Activate All Chakras http://enle.info/ChakraActivationSystem/?EX1o
  • 6 years ago

don't forget hasten

• 10 years ago

It is supposed to be often. Many people drop t's in language today. I am forever telling the kids at school "it's not wan-id...it's WANTED!!! TT!!! There's a T!" lol

Some people say off-den. There is a T in there though so it should be OfTen. :-)

It's not actually a silent letter though so you are supposed to pronounce it. People can just be lazy in language or maybe it has to do with their accent. But its not a silent letter.

• 4 years ago

Offen is lazy there is a T and its not silent, so Its Often and thats what I teach...

• 4 years agoReport

I pronounce it off-ten to differentiate it from my name
      Terry Offen

• I personally say ..off ten

• 10 years ago

I've heard people say it different ways, but for me its "off-ten"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.