Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Why do Protestants say the Catholics doctrines are wrong when Catholicism existed years before Protestantism?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Because they are "PROTESTING" the Catholic teachings...which they perceived as "false doctrines"...

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Good point: Since the Catholic Apostles and Fathers were much closer in time to the gospel events, they likely had better knowledge of those events and of the language and customs of the era. In addition, they had recourse to the oral traditions that predated the written gospels and that supply critical background knowledge for understanding them.

John makes this point at the end of his gospel 21:25): "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." This means that we need contemporary accounts to fully understand Jesus' words and actions.

Protestants who dismiss Catholic doctrines claim to do so on the basis of the Bible, but that also presents a problem. They don't seem to understand the the New Testament was commissioned, selected, and canonized by the Catholic-Orthodox Christians of Jesus' original church. It doesn't make sense that those who issued the New Testament do not understand it, and that those reading their texts 15-20 centuries later got it right.

Cheers,

Bruce

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

They are raised to believe that. Some of the more extreme groups will post such silliness as claiming the Book of Revelation proves the Beast is the Pope or the city that sets on 7 hills is the Roman Catholic Church. They just can not grasp the fact that the Vatican is separate from Rome and Jerusalem sits on 7 hills as does Moscow Russia and other Cities.But they convince them selves that the Holy Spirit revealed it to them or the Book of Daniels Prophesies about knowledge increasing and on and on they go. They read such books as the well disregarded as a book of exaggerations and out and out lies Foxes book of martyrs as fact and just about any anti Catholic writings. So what it boils down is they have created there own self delusions as i forget which letter that Paul or Peter Or John writes that in the latter days GOD will cause a Delusion and there it...

• 10 years ago

The bulk of Protestant doctrines are shared with Catholicism and Orthodoxy

and where the varied thousands of Protestant groups disagree with Catholicism, they often also disagree with some or many of the teachings of their fellow Protestants

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

If they accept Catholic doctrine to be correct, they have lost all justification for their existence as a separate church!

Not only would they lose their reason for existing separately from the Catholic Church, but their very existence would be an abomination according to their own standards.

i.e.; They would be "living outside of God's plan" and "refusing to rejoin the flock."

In some cases people may just be unwilling/unable to face the question:

"What if my way is wrong?"

What I don't understand is: How come whenever this question comes up people only take the WESTERN CHURCH into consideration. They forget the very existence of the EASTERN CHURCH!

Guess maybe they can't face the logical possibility that with 3 alternatives to choose from...

Both Protestants AND Catholics could be wrong, eh?

Without a dichotomy, the clearly defined lines of EITHER/OR lose their precision.

• 10 years ago

this is a fruitless and endless rants of our differences. Just sit tight and get a good grip that PROTESTANTS will protest forever... born to be wild protesters. Some group protest against the mainstream protestants and want to be called 'christians".....LOL>

• 10 years ago

To make their false doctrine appear right.

Catholic doctrines are right not because the Catholic Church came first. Catholic doctrines are right because the Catholic Church is the Church founded by Jesus Christ.

• 10 years ago

I would like for them to actually supply a few sources to their claims. From what I gather it is all hearsay which makes it completely irrelevant.

What is sad is, I came across a fundie who claimed they were Catholic for 25 years, though they knew nothing of Catholic Teachings. This person accused the Catholic Church of teaching the worship of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Cultus Latriæ) & that the Pope is considered a saviour, etc., I asked for some sources to back up these claims and got nothing but more accusations added. So I took the time to collect up some Catholic Doctrine and posted it, explaining what Canon, the CCC, The Baltimore Catechism, &c., all taught in regards to this persons accusations. What came next surprised me a bit, they wrote to me telling me to stop posting such evil text, that everything that I posted in regards to what the Church has been teaching for about 1977 years, was evil. The only thing I could do was laugh at this persons stupidity.

Miles Christi sum.

@Aron the world being flat was believed by everyone centuries ago, before Copernicus & Galileo. Have you ever heard of Nicolaus Copernicus he wrote six books: De revolutionibus orbium coelestium (On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres) and dedicated them to Pope Paul III. Thus there were accepted by the Catholic Church. Protestants were completely against it, as Martin Luther said:

"People gave ear to an upstart astrologer who strove to show that the earth revolves, not the heavens or the firmament, the sun and the moon.... This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy; but sacred Scripture tells us [Joshua 10:13] that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth."

(Quoted in Thomas Kuhn, The Copernican Revolution, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press, 1957, p. 191.)

On the Catholic side opposition only commenced seventy-three years later, when it was occasioned by Galileo. On 5 March, 1616, the work of Copernicus was forbidden by the Congregation of the Index "until corrected", and in 1620 these corrections were indicated. Nine sentences, by which the heliocentric system was represented as certain, had to be either omitted or changed. This done, the reading of the book was allowed.

And the history of Galileo, it seems, has not been taught correctly either:

Ironically, both Luther and Melanchthon had rejected Galileo's theory off-hand. Moreover, many in the academic world were hostile to Galileo and condemned his theories. On the contrary, it was the Roman Catholic Church, not the "enlightened reformers," that sponsored Galileo's lectures and supported his honest endeavors. Pope Urban VIII, Cardinal Bellarmine, and many other leaders of the Church publicly Galileo's scientific work, many of them owned telescopes made by him and conducted their own observations.

Galileo was not condemned. In only one trial, in 1633 (not the two that some erroneously allege, as in 1616 his friend Cardinal Bellarmine only advised him informally), he was given a moderate sentence (the recitation once a week for three years of the penitential psalms, which he had already been doing anyway and voluntarily continued to do afterwards, a practice that would take only fifteen minutes per week) for publishing as pure doctrine what he was told to publish as theory. The basis of his theory was in fact false since he based it on the tides of the sea, which depend not primarily on the sun, but on the moon.

Galileo spent not even one single day in prison, nor did he suffer any physical penalty. On the contrary, during his trial in Rome in 1633, he was housed in elegant apartments with a personal servant. Thereafter, he resided for a time in the palace (which his daughter described as "so delightful") of the Archbishop of Siena, a supporter. He was never prohibited from continuing his work and studies, and was never barred from receiving visitors. In other words, instead of holding Galileo prisoner as a confessed heretic, he was indulged as a guest of honor. Galileo died at the age of 78 in his own bed, with the plenary indulgence and blessing of the pope. (Vittorio Messori, Levandas Negras de la Iglesia)

Moreover, the pope of the time, Urban VIII, had brought to the Holy See an interest in scientific investigation not shared by his immediate predecessors. Galileo knew him personally -- had shown him his telescope, and had won him to his side one night, after a banquet at the Florentine court, in a debate about why ice floats. Urban had long admired Galileo so much that he had even written a poem for him, mentioning the sights revealed by "Galileo's glass."

Maria Celeste, Galileo's sister, delighted with her father at this turn of events: "The happiness I derived from the gift of the letters you sent me, Sire, written to you by that most distinguished Cardinal, now elevated to the exalted position of Supreme Pontiff, was ineffable, for his letters so clearly express the affection he has for you, and also shows how highly he values your abilities." (Dava Sobel)

• Donald
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

True Christians (Protestants) were walking the earth with Jesus. Catholics did not show up until hundreds of years later. The catholic church was not around when Jesus was here, the word catholic did not appear until the 2nd century.

Catholic doctrines are based on man's traditions. Many of their doctrines are not based on what God teaches but instead are based on what the pope says. Example the catholic church use to sell tickets to heaven. You could actually buy your way into heaven by giving millions of dollars to the pope. You did not have to follow Jesus or obey Him.

There are many other examples of false doctrines the catholics have.

• 10 years ago

It is because some Protestants are reading their Bible well - the Bible is the written word of God and is meant to be the instruction manual on what we should believe about God and God's dealings with man. Traditions take the back seat when they run contrary to what the word of God declares. Actually the term catholic was a small letter word meaning universal, referring to believers of Jesus Christ found throughout the whole world. Roman Catholicism in capital letters only started as a reaction to the Reformation because Martin Luther has made known the deviations of the church of that era to that of the original teachings of the apostles. The pure gospel is found in Romans chapters 1 to 8 of the New Testament and is consistent with the first message of Jesus Christ, repent and be baptized : repentance comes first before baptism. Jerome and the other church fathers held on to this original teaching. There was no hierarchy of Pope and cardinals in their time as we know it now because the New Testament spelled out only elders and deacons in ministering to the flock. It is also said in the gospel of John (and this is the complete text) that, "And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name."

Roman Catholics may do well when they read the book of Acts to know what gospel the apostles preached. The role of good works came later as a result of the saving faith one receives from God.

• Because they are making a poor attempt at revisionist history. If they claim that it was never right in the first place, then they can discredit the Church, making their version of heresy more acceptable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.