Registered Nurse or Graphic Designer?

a little about myself:

im 19, graduated class of '09 and decided to take a year off before starting colleg to figure out what i really want to do for a living ... and here i am, still without a clue of what i want ...

ok so ive always been pretty good at art, love to draw and i pay alot of attention to detail. you can always find me criticizing a commercial or a bad novela (spanish soap operas *eye roll*), movies or music videos, advertisements of all sorts... ive given alot of thought to the possibility of majoring in graphic/advertising design. i can see myself in that setting BUT the instability of this career is whats holding me back. i want to be able to live a comfortable live-style...id like to find a career that would pay somewhere around $45k+ a year and in Graphic Design nothing is really guaranteed, job opps, salary, etc.... SO ive looked into some other fields like the medical field, things like denist, denal assistant, ultra sound tech, and nursing<<<

now nursing i like more because your actually there in person helping people and that would give me alot of satisfaction at the end of the day...no matter how tired i am....the pay is not bad lol (its great from what ive heard)...alot of hard work i know but im not scared of working extra hard and giving it my all and i can see that its all worth it in the end right??(correct me if im wrong). there are plenty of benefits as well, a stable career, i can work anywhere, having that kind of knowledge, being able to help someone in an emergency or my own family ...etc. so yea from the looks of it i cant go wrong with nursing ...but GD really draws my attention, i dont want to become a RN and regret not going into GD ( i can see it now, i look up at a billboard and think " wow i couldve done that so much better") and i know thats likely to happen becaue ads a graphic design is all around us...

ok so from what i know i can become a RN in 2-3 years .....i can also become a Graphic Designer in about the same time but the pay is not set-in-stone so ive been thinking....

what if i get an AS in nursing at a community college, work for about a year or so, then go back to school to get a AS or BA in graphic design (and this time instead of community college i can try to go to a really good art school like Ringling or Full Sail *i live in FL by the way*...i mean with the RN salary i could afford it right??) i can do a little freelance designing on the side, and my uncle told me that in Costa Rica (where my family is from) i could possibly start a small business with advertising and make a good living off of that alone so yea it sounded really good to me...

so please tell me what you think about this master plan that ive got going on lol ...is it too ambitious? am i trying to many things at once? is it possible...is it even realistic at all?? lol what do you think i should do? should i stick to just one thing? (it would be very hard for me to choose though)

if this isn’t possible could you please recommend something else I could do? …

im mostly afraid of regret....id rather bust my *** trying to do both careers than to choose one and regret not doing the other ..so yea if all this is possible please let me know, give me some positive feedback so i can finally have some peace of mind

i deeply appreciate your help and your patience for reading all of this lol thank you very very much for your opinions

Favorite Answer

Your plan is really the best way. I've spoken with Blizzard Entertainment about graphic design. I know you were leaning more towards graphic design for marketing, but they are one of if not the most popular video game design companies around right now. The hiring managers told me that they don't care what you have your degree in, the only thing they're concerned about for their graphic design positions is your portfolio. So this should be great news for you. Get your education in nursing because you will not get a nursing job without formal education. While you are working in that area, spend your free time doing graphic design work and developing your portfolio. Then, you may not even have to attend school in graphic design to land a job you want. In my opinion, you've got a solid plan. Work hard and good luck!

• machin

Nurse Graphic

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Registered Nurse or Graphic Designer?

a little about myself:

im 19, graduated class of &#39;09 and decided to take a year off before starting colleg to figure out what i really want to do for a living ... and here i am, still without a clue of what i want ...

ok so ive always been pretty good at art, love to draw and i pay...

Source(s): registered nurse graphic designer: https://biturl.im/IwZ18

99% of Professional designers use Macs. Period. As do most printers & service bureaus. Macs dont get viruses. Ever! Most design software (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) run native on the Mac OS. Not sure what problems your friend was talking about. I've used Macs AND PCs since the early 80s. Only problems I can see is that some applications you may be used to may not work on a Mac.

I can make more as a nurse working 12 hours than a digital artist working a project consist of more than 80 pieces of art. And I have degrees in both. But then again if I was a really really really awesome artist it may be a different story (I thought I was awesome).

Depends on whether or not you want job security. Graphic designers always have difficulty in times of recession. Nursing jobs are always in demand and you can travel and get all sorts of interesting jobs with this training. Check out the resource below for some interesting articles to help you in your decision.

best of luck.

For the Salary:

Graphic Designer Average Salary: $39,000

5,000 Salaries registered and grouped by companies here:

http://www.whatsalary.com/us/salary/GRAPHIC-DESIGN...

Registered Nurse Average Salary: $45,000

1,000 Salaires here:

http://www.whatsalary.com/us/salary/REGISTERED-NUR...

Information on this site http://mynursingprograms.com might help you