Should public schools allow religion class?

Teaching them about Wicca, Satanism, Astrology, Hinduism, Shintoism, Islam, Judaism, Pastafarianism, and Scientology?

Best Answer

I think it's no problem, but it should be an optional class and not be offered to young students who are easily swayed. If it was offered as an elective class in high school and the teacher was careful not to preach religion and just taught it free of bias, it would be a great idea and would help us to understand religions other than our own. It would help to defeat religious bigotry by eliminating ignorance and misconceptions of other religions. It does not go against separation of Church and State so long as it's not taught in a way that promotes one religion over another. They already have religion classes in state colleges (I'm taking one right now with an unbiased teacher), and I think that high school students are mature enough to handle them too.

Venus Bless

Source(s): Solitary Eclectic Wiccan
  • neil s

A comparative history class, taught as an elective and as a subject of study - not as something to think is true - seems reasonable. Even giving more time to the Bible is reasonable, since it has had more influence in the West. If people are educated about the similarities and the many changes all religions have undergone, a lot less will think these are divine revelations. Sounds good to me.

No, because it cannot be done appropriately. There will be bias in a situation like that. Leave the religious education to the family and the church. If the family feels that a private religious education is necessary, let them pay tuition to send their children to parochial school. Public education should never include religious teachings. It's bound to be screwed up in that setting.

Source(s): former Catholic, atheist

I don't think public schools should allow religion classes because kids are too young to understand the fundamentals of such classes. This could also lead to a negative impact on the kids at such a young age. Kids should stick to the normal classes taught!

• Avery

I don't really see a problem, but then again I see no real point to it.

Heck, churches and such already have their own systems for teaching their beliefs to others. I went to Sunday School as a kid. It's like school, only with the Bible.

But as long as someone wasn't required to attend the class, it doesn't bother me.

Source(s): Agnostic atheist

"The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion. No person can be punished for entertaining or professing religious beliefs or disbeliefs, for church attendance or non-attendance. No tax in any amount, large or small, can be levied to support any religious activities or institutions, whatever they may be called, or whatever form they may adopt to teach or practice religion. Neither a state nor the Federal Government can, openly or secretly, participate in the affairs of any religious organizations or groups and vice versa. In the words of Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect 'a wall of separation between Church and State.'" 330 U.S. 1, 15-16.

I think students should have the option of taking that class. Being informed on other culture's religions is not a bad thing. It will help with the close-mindedness that runs ramped through today's youth. I would take the class.

We learned about that in my World Geography class in high school, although my teacher (and my textbook) were pitifully uninformed.

But yes, I think an understanding of other people's perspectives would be good. Too many people get locked into their own perspective and can't even understand that other people believe other things.

Yes, as part of social studies classed. It is useful to understand the mythology and superstitions by which peoples used to live (and still amazingly do). You forgot Christianity, a widely held superstition.

• Ghost

Yes! That would be great! I'd sign up for that.

But they should include Christianity/Catholicism and whatnot.

(And astrology isn't a religion)

Source(s): Wiccan/Co-Exister