Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Public Schools should allow religion class?

I'm not talking about forcing people into it or anything, but it would make people more understanding of each others beliefs. We had to study religion for geography class, and i learned a whole lot of things that i didn't know. I mean, we have to say the pledge to flag we may or may not want pledge allegiance to, American money has in God we trust, and the pledge says "one nation under God." We're already doing and saying things we might not agree with already, so what's the big deal?

Update:

and yes, i mean ALL religions

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

It's a good idea; there's a lot that can be learned from religions, and many people are sorely uneducated in religious matters. As most social studies classes include a bit of religion in them, I think a religious class should be an optional Grade 11/12 course (there would be a lot of fighting over whether or not a school could put a full religious course in the required curriculum...).

If nothing else, religion is interesting. I'm a Christian, and I thoroughly enjoy studying my own religion as well as others, as do many of my atheist acquaintances. Learning how various religions work, what the evidence for them is, and how they shaped our culture would be very interesting for many people.

• 10 years ago

A school is not a church. Religion has nothing to do with geography. We pledge allegiance to America because we live in America. We do it because we are proud to live in this country and that has nothing to do with God. I will be happy when the day comes when God is taken out of the pledge and off of our money, which is used by people from all types of religions. It is not a big deal to you because you don't mind, it is a big deal to me because I do.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Well, many schools DO offer religion class; that should mean, though, that it isn't strictly devoted to teaching Christianity, but teaching all sorts of religions. I took it for a social studies requirement in middle school and high school. I learned a lot about Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and Hinduism.

And I don't know about you, but WE didn't have to do the pledge of allegiance.

It's not the idea of teaching any religion in schools; it's about preaching it, as opposed to teaching the facts about it. When you start preaching a religion in a federally-sponsored institution, then it gets unconstitutional.

• Jack
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

People should within reason be allowed to practice their religion at public school. Personal prayer should be allowed for meals and before tests. Those who believe that they should wear head coverings or hats should be allowed to do so. Those who believe that they should not wear such

As long as a school is not endorsing a religion, the free exercise of religion should be allowed. Religion can be taught as a part of culture in the context of sharing information. But not endorsed as anything more than a part of the local culture. It's like teaching about a foreign culture.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

No. I will say this again: NO.

It is PUBLIC SCHOOL. Religion has no place in school. If you want to learn about religion, go to a church, mosque or synagogue.

The pledge added "Under God" into it in the 1950s because America was afraid of Communists. The USA is not at its roots a Christian nation.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

There are religious schools for this sort of thing, so no.

By the way, if you want religious classes in school, which religion? You need to have ALL of the religions or people get pissed because one religion or another is left out.

If you discriminate against other religions by not having one class for that religion, it's a waste of time.(By the way, there are thousands of religions, so you wouldn't be able to do that)

Also, the one nation under god was added long after our four fathers. Our government got religious so they decided it was one nation under god. It's not, we have freedom of and from religion.

• 4 years ago

A comparative history class, taught as an elective and as a subject of study - not as something to think is true - seems reasonable. Even giving more time to the Bible is reasonable, since it has had more influence in the West. If people are educated about the similarities and the many changes all religions have undergone, a lot less will think these are divine revelations. Sounds good to me.

• neil s
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Sure, teach the history of religions, including how they have changed over time. Seems like the best way to show people that all religions are man made.

As for the pledge and money, those things should be changed.

• bryan
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I do not see a problem with a class that teaches ABOUT religion, as long as it does not take a position on any religions or the lack their of. I think it would be a good idea and could be good for most students

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Some think that Mimi might be the “missing link,” a sign of how life first evolved on our planet and in particular how cells with a nucleus might have originally evolved, leading eventually to human beings. It’s possible that in Earth’s early oceans, the virus was the dominant form of life and existed on its own, only later developing the ability to be parasitic on the cellular life which evolved afterwards. Most of the human genome is made up from viral DNA, and the same is true for most of the rest of animal and plant life.

It sounds odd to think of the virus being the beginning of life, but we have to get past our prejudice against viruses as being parasitic and harmful. The virus is, if nothing else, a survivor. Viruses survive against all odds and in all environments. Viruses replicate and adapt at a remarkable rate, making it very difficult for us humans to defend against or kill them. Such adaptability and survivability would have been very helpful in Earth’s primordial environment.

Christians look to heaven for signs of their Creator; perhaps they should pay more attention to what happens when they blow their nose.

This is but one type of belief that is actually based on something you can test to see if there's any sense to it..?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.