Where in France can I find my French relatives?

I'm thinking about taking a genealogy trip to France someday to look for my relatives from one of my French ancestors born in 0900 A.D., in Paris. But I need to know where I need to go in order to do that. So please, if you know of any genealogical societies or libraries in France that will tell me where I can find my French relatives, please tell me what they are. Thanks!

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

Civil record copies from the local registrars' office (bureau de l'état civil) from your ancestor's town...however as civil registration only started in 1792.

French Parish registers date back to as early as 1334, though the majority of surviving records date from the mid-1600's.The majority of church records prior to 1792 are held by the Archives Départementales, though a few small parish churches still retain these old registers. Libraries in larger towns and cities may hold duplicate copies of these archives.

Census records in France date back to 1772 but prior to 1836 ( when they were taken every 5 years) usually only noted numbers of people per household, though sometimes they would include the head of household as well.

In France, tombstones with legible inscriptions can be found from as early as the 18th century.

Military records are held by the Army and Navy Historical Services in Vincennes, France and records survive from as early as the 17th century.

Notarial records are an important sources of genealogical information in France. These are documents prepared by notaries which can include such records as marriage settlements, wills, inventories, guardianship agreements, and property transfers (other land and court records are held in the National Archives (Archives nationales), mairies, or Departmental archives. They include some of the oldest available records in France, with some dating all the way back to the 1300s.

Now I have been tracing family history for many years...and sorry but I doubt you have a recorded verified paper trail back to France to 0900AD, as if the people who look after a Nations records don't have records of that date...how come you do?

Now I know the French are a clever nation, however people going back only 150 years ( and thats only back to 1860) all the people didn't read and write, so few records of events were taken and France is better than many European countries for records.

Basically you would be wasting your time visiting France other than to see the Country as the 'records' you seek don't exist...you would be better, verifying what you already have, one wrong person in your family history means you are not tracing your family but someone else's, to make sure you do have a family tree which is your family tree and not some copied information from the internet with no references to real records and even if you have got reference numbers, have you checked them to see if they are correct?

For each person, each FACT about them you need THREE PRIMARY document/record sources before you believe that person is the correct person and you are better to have a real family tree back to 1850 that you know is genuine as you have all the references and copies of documents than some massive 'tree' of copied information, not referenced and really no idea if it is correct or not

To be able to find your French relatives, you would have to prove the line of ancestors starting with you and going back to the ancestor born in 0900 A.D. In doing so, you will find out where your relatives moved around to, if they did, or where in France they stayed. Do you know for sure that the person born in 0900 A.D. is actually your direct ancestor? If you haven't traced the line, and proved it, then you would waste a trip going to France.

On the other hand, if you have proved the line, you should use google.com and find where the vital records are kept for the area they are from. I found a lot of information online on my French families. I was really surprised at what was available.

• Ashley

You'll probably have an easier time finding relatives by searching online. If you know this ancestor's name, you can search for him on the various genealogy websites and see if he appears in anyone else's family tree. If he's their ancestor, and your ancestor, then you're related. Of course, it'd still be awesome to go to France and research your ancestors there, but that's not the only way to find people who are related to you.

• henne

Find My Relatives

You have documented your French ancestry back to 900 AD? That particular ancestor probably has thousands of descendants spread throughout the world. If you are looking for relatives still living in France, you should concentrate on more recent ancestors.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/france/French_Geneal...

Id call up Genetree at 1-877-868-4512 and take advantage of the free genealogy consultation. They can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

It depends upon how well you obtain potential of languages. If you are good at languages, then it'll not take you as prolonged. Think 2 years at a minimum, nonetheless 5 years is a additional reasonable volume.