wireless modem replacing cable dsl modem?

Hello:

I m current had cable dsl modem with att and would like to replace with wireless modem more sharing internet. I need some help that which wireless modem come with router is the best for this replacement and do i need to call att to let them know that i will replace a wireless modem? Please help. thanks

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

No, they are different. Most of the routers you get at a local retail store, like Walmart, are for DSL. You should be able to see on the side of the box if it's for something like ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+ and so on. If it mentions anything about DOCIS 2.0, DOCIS 3.0, it's a cable modem. I went to Google to check on your modem and it's a cable modem. I'm not sure what download speed you have but if it's something like 12-15+ Mbps I'd recommend the Motorola SBG6580. It has DOCIS 3.0, Wireless-N and some other features. I believe it's rated for 60 Mbps. I know for sure it's rated for over 25 Mbps. You shouldn't have to upgrade for a long time if you buy that. Hope this helped!

• 10 years ago

You don't need, nor would it be advisable to get a "wireless modem"

You need a wireless router. Your existing modem will plug into the wireless router, and then the router will allow you to share your internet via Ethernet or wireless network.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.