What causes shifting pain in the body? The kind of nagging, pricking, shooting pain that begins somewhere?

...deep inside left side of lower abdomen (near kidneys I suppose, or is it ovaries?) and moves up to armpit?!?

Any explanations...Or, experiences worth sharing are heartily welcomed :)

Thanks!

Thank you, dear Buzzzbe and Irish, for your good wishes!

It doesn't seem like gas, because its on the side, much lower than stomach...something like ticking of a clock placed deep inside...(and no expulsion, soundless or otherwise, from either end, LOL!)

Dear laholly, I'm very much in 'that' zone :) In fact, I should have stopped ovulating long back, but I haven't! Women in my family, like, my late mom and two elder sisters had to get hysterectomy done...so I'm keeping fingers crossed...though I have no problems to report except for terrible left side headache in those days! There, you have my medical history now, LOL! Why's everything affecting my left?!?

Favorite Answer

Common causes of lower left abdominal pain include diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome, left kidney stone, left kidney infection, crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, left ectopic pregnancy, left ovarian disease, and infection of the left fallopian tubes in women. If you want to take a guess of what it could be, fine. If you trust you'll get an answer in this Answers community, fine.

My suggestion. Visit your doctor he/she is the only one who can give you an accurate diagnosis. Good luck.

When you say that the pain shifts, this leads me to think its your nerves. If pain persisted in your lower abdomen while the pain in your armpit comes and goes, then that would be a different story. Now there isn't a major nerve going from your abdomen to your armpit. So the problem probably isn't a pinched nerve. Instead, the nerves extend from the spine like ladder rungs. So I'd have to guess it might be a more general inflammation, either along the spine or along the left side of your body. As you move, breathe, digest food, etc., pressure can be relieved in one location and subsequently added in another location.

As for the cause of the inflammation, it's hard to speculate. Some possibilities are wearing a heavy backpack only on one side, performing a repetitive activity such as shoveling, or even stress induced muscle tension. When these muscles become inflamed, they squeeze on the nerves causing pain in whatever area the nerve services. If this sounds probable, then potential solutions could be some gentle stretches to relieve some of the pressure on the nerves, taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medicine, and refraining from the offending activity. As with any diagnosis you seek here, you should ultimately speak with your doctor for a more conclusive answer.

P'quaint, based on your description of the locus of pain, I would say go in for the scan. If you press on that part of your abdomen, and then quickly let go, does the pain increase? If you are driving and go over a bump, does the pain just about launch you into orbit? How long does the pain last--4 to 5 days, and then gradually subsiding? Is this recurring?

That particular location of the abdomen is the site of two common problems--diverticulosis and diverticulitis. As one ages (and you don't strike me as being in that zone yet), the lower intestine can develop little pouches where digested food can become trapped (this is called diverticulosis) and, in some cases, cause an inflammation (diverticulitis). If serious enough, the intestine can perforate, in which case the person is looking at peritonitis and and a tidy hospital stay until the infection is controlled, and then surgery to have the diseased part of the intestine removed. (I speak from personal experience...) Diverticulosis, on the other hand, is usually controllable with diet.

But when anyone says they are experiencing pain in the lower left quadrant of the abdomen, I pale, and urge a visit to the doctor with a request for a referral to a specialist.

Another thing that can cause pain/distention/gas (or not) is lactose intolerance--very common in any age group when the enzyme that digests milk disappears or is insufficient.

Here is a good link regarding milk intolerance:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/lactos...

...and a good article on diverticulosis:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/divert...

...and diverticulitis:

http://www.medicinenet.com/diverticulosis/article....

In all probability, it may just be something you ate, but you can check your own symptoms against an abundance of reliable articles online.

• anekey

Shifting Pain In Stomach

Like the ticking of a clock?

Pain is always a signal of change in the body.

If it keeps up I would see the doctor.

It's almost impossible to say without an exam because these symptoms could be something minor that will pass on it's own or several things a bit more serious.

If you press on the abdomen where the pain originates does it hurt worse on pressing in or on releasing the pressure?

Ticking, like a pulse feeling?

There are just too many possibilities to say with confidence.

If you have had it persistently or if it continues much longer get it checked out.

It is always better to be safe now than sorry later.

Please my friend, do take care of your body.

Many Blessings!

Pain under the armpit usually signifies swollen lymph nodes. Lymph nodes function to filter bacteria and viruses out of the body. Lymph nodes are found at several locations throughout the body, including under the armpits. When you feel pain there, it could be that you have an infection somewhere and your lymph nodes are working extra hard. Maybe you might want to check if you have urine or bladder infection, since you have pain in your lower abdomen as well. Doctors can give you antibiotics, and they'll advise you to drink extra amounts of water to flush the infection out. Have you had a lot of protein-based food lately? Or drank untreated water?

Anyway, it's best to check with a doctor and get yourself examined. Hope it's nothing serious and that you'll get well soon!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Thanks!

Source(s): shifting pain body kind nagging pricking shooting pain begins somewhere: https://tinyurl.im/6V97c

Given the asymmetrical description, my guess is back muscular action compressing internal organs. External abdominal oblique muscle and internal abdominal oblique muscle in lum tension caused by favoring action, why I don't know. This can create something similar to carp-tunnel syndrome or burning ligament pain in the muscle to bone connective tissues.

http://www.innerbody.com/image/musbov.html

2

• Linda

1