Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why Does New Jersey And Maryland Have The Highest Property Taxes In The United States ?

Is it because New Jersey and Maryland are deep red states run by extreme rightwing politicians who love to tax people up to their eyeballs ?

Favorite Answer

That’s a two-part question. The first part of the question is “Why?” That's a question that has plagued philosophers for thousands of years. Plato asked Aristotle, “WHY?” Aristotle asked Socrates, “WHY?” Socrates asked Homer, “WHY?” Homer asked Jethro, “WHY?” None of them could answer the question “Why?”

The second part of the question is “Does New Jersey And Maryland Have The Highest Property Taxes In The United States?"

Yes. My property tax has gone up more than 100% in the last 11 years. That's because NJ has had Democrat and "Moderate" Republican administrations for a far back as I can remember. Between them they've managed to fund every government program that you can imagine. I remember when we didn't have a state sales tax (1966). I remember when we didn't have a state income tax (1976). I remember when we didn't have a lottery (1970).

All of these revenue sources were supposed to fund state and local spending and reduce the need for property tax. Instead, it just fueled the boilers of more and more spending. I remember when teachers were underpaid. I should know, I used to be a teacher back in the 1960's. Now, teachers make more money for less days worked [about 185 days] than most other college grads [240 days]. Not only that, their pension and health care packages are far better than the private sector's packages. Top it off with tenure after 3 years and you've got yourself a better deal than almost any other profession. Their salaries go up every year whether they produce results or not.

I wouldn't pick on the teachers if they produced the best educated students in the world, but they don't. Our state turns out HS grads that can't make change for a dollar or write a simple sentence. Certainly we also have some of the brightest students in the country. Many of them come from alternative education routes: private schools and home-schooling.

We used to have one of the worst Departments of Motor Vehicles in the country. You'd wait in long lines to renew your car registration or driver's license. These were privatized a few years ago and are now running much smoother.

Our new governor, Chris Christie, made his 'bones' by prosecuting NJ politicians on the take. His office tried and convicted more that 120 of them. They all either pled guilty or were convicted. He's now trying to rein in state and local government spending. The unions, of course, are yelling FOUL. But this is what he ran on and I hope he starts to make difference for NJ's taxpayers.

• Robin

The taxes here are so ridiculously high that now with my youngest graduating from high school I am moving to Delaware! I will have a exit tax that is going to cost me thousands of dollars. This must be the most corrupt state in the nation. Its insanely expensive here. Noone deserve to pay these taxes. 2 weeks of my income each month goes to my property taxes leaving very little for bills and living expenses!

• meg

New Jersey has very high property taxes but Maryland does not. Maryland's are less than Texas and California is among the lowest.. see http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/1913.htm...

Well would you look at that:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Maryland has the highest median household income of any state, having surpassed New Jersey in 2006; Maryland's median household income was $68,080 in 2007.[4]

There's your answer. they earn more money, so they pay more taxes--LIKE THEY SHOULD!

• Quan

Gray Nurse is correct...

In New Jersey, we have a state government that is filled with idiots. I have no idea what they spend money on, but it is not what it should be spent on. They have just cut funding for public education by 820 Million dollars, just so they can let a excise tax on people making more than $400,000 a year expire.

We also have idiotic teachers unions. They refuse to pay ANYTHING towards their Health Care coverage. Idiots.

They had my support before they did that.

Source(s): New Jersey resident

Nobody in America gets taxed to "their eyeballs". We have one of the lowest tax rates in the industrialized world.

New Jersey is a red state? I don't know where to begin.

• Bethy

Deep red?

They have had a 4 democrat Governors from 2002 to 2010

And in those years they are the one who hiked the taxes, income, luxury and property

and guess what, tax revenue did not go up

Tax payers LEFT the state

Chris Christie has said he would cut taxes

Nope, they are states that have to pay out BILLIONS to the federal government to subsidize the southern states. That is the real truth!