Earthquake in New York, NY; Seattle, WA; Mexico City, Mexico... Where is the epicenter?

if there is an earthquake in New York, NY; Seattle, WA; Mexico City, Mexico at the same time where is the epicenter? How can I figure it out?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I think that you mean that you detected an earthquake at these three stations? You would use the difference in P- and S-wave arrival times to allow you to determine a distance from each station. Each station would then draw a circle around it at its own distance. If done correctly, these circles will all intersect at one point, and that is your epicenter. In this case, it would probably be somewhere in the Oklahoma area.

But if you were able to use these stations to pinpoint the epicenter, then you would have had a shock so huge that you'd have much bigger problems than worrying about where it happened.

Source(s): Geologist
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Seattle To Mexico City

• 1 decade ago

You need to find a fault line. I believe the closest fault line to NY is in Lake Erie (yea weird, but there are minor earthquakes there). Seattle is actually on a fault line and according to history channel could be one of the largest earthquakes in US history when it happens b/c the plates have stopped moving. For Mexico, it may originate in CA.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hi, just wanted to say, I loved this discussion. Very valuable answers

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Interested in this as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.