Problems with insomnia?

I have strong information to believe i have primary and chronic insomnia, for reason because i have done my research. I have tried sleeping pills, cough syrup and exercise throughout the day etc but none of them seem to work to put me to sleep. For example I eat healthy, i do not drink soda, only juice and water i do not eat fast food except subway. But once i lay down in the bed i turn the tv off at ten then most of the times i stay awake 3 or 4 hours of tossing turning yawning and eventually i fall asleep. But after about 2 hours i wake up, and lay awake for 30 min most of the time. Then i fall asleep and wake up at 6am when i have to get up. I have tried sleeping pills but when i awake in the middle of the night my head has a slight throb. Also cough syrup i wake up in the middle of the night and i have CRAZY dreams every time i drink cough syrup and sleep.

Is there anything Im doing wrong?

-Not enough energy wasted during the day?

Could I ask them to prescribe me a medical license to smoke cannabis.

-Every time I have smoked i fell asleep when I laid down and had no interruptions, Plus when i awake from this i have a will to get up and get my day going . (Full of energy and no little eye openings to adjust to the light.) On another occasion I smoked then went to sleep at 5pm (Little sleep from night b4) then woke up at 530ish am the next morning rejuvenated.

Please help me this has been going on for about 3 in half months, I want to get a full night sleep again, if theres anyway, please help.

Best Answer

Insomnia is terrible. It's good that you've done some research. I would stay away from more medication for the moment. It's unlikely a doctor will prescribe cannabis unless they go through the whole medical gambit with you, monitor progress, remedies etc. Even after that, a prescription might be a little hard to come by so here are a few others things to try.

I noticed you mentioned that this started 3 and a half months ago. If you can think back, was there anything that you might have done that could have had an effect on your sleeping habits. Changes in your environment, living patterns, activities, stress, etc. Anything at all, even if it might seem trivial. If you can find a cause, even if it might not be present now, it will be very helpful.

You've probably read about the bodies circadian rhythms. This excerpt is taken from wikipedia.

"To maintain a 24-hour day/night cycle, the biological clock needs regular environmental time cues or Zeitgebers, e.g., sunrise, sunset, and daily routine. Time cues keep the normal human circadian clock aligned with the rest of the world. Non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome and other persistent circadian rhythm sleep disorders are believed to be caused by an inadequate ability to reset the sleep/wake cycle in response to environmental time cues. These individuals' circadian clocks might have an unusually long cycle, and/or might not be sensitive enough to time cues. People with DSPS, more common than Non-24, do entrain to nature's 24 hours, but are unable to sleep and awaken at socially preferred times, sleeping instead, for example, from 4 a.m. to noon. According to doctors Cataletto and Hertz at WebMD, "Altered or disrupted sensitivity to zeitgebers is probably the most common cause of circadian rhythm disorder."[2]"

It sounds like you may have screwed up your sleep cycle by now. Some behavioural therapies that have had some success work with a kind of resetting of the sleep rhythms/circadian rhythms.

One technique SLEEP RESTRICTION. A technique that starts with a person only being allowed to get a few hours sleep a night; over time the hours of sleep are increased until a more normal night's sleep is achieved. This technique is designed to limit the hours that one spends in bed unable to sleep and helps re-associate the bedroom with sleeping, instead of the frustration of insomnia.

You might also consider, either in joint therapy with the above, cutting out television after the mid afternoon. I know that it's like saying go without food. But watching television can be quite stressful for both the brain and the eyes, rather than the relaxing associations we've come to pair with it.

Another thing is to try and increase your exposure to sunlight in the morning. A kind of message to the circadian clock that you're actually awake and doing things.

What about your room. Is it dark enough when you sleep? Warm enough? I'm not sure if you meant you had to get up a six in order to go to work or school. Around five or six it starts getting light, so heavy curtains that can allow you to sleep through the cue/zeitgeberg* of light might be a good idea if your lifestyle doesn't require getting up early. Also do you do/have you done any work while on/in your bed, i.e working on a laptop etc. Studies have been done which suggest that performing activities in a space that should only be a "sleeping place" can impair your quality of sleep and ability to get to sleep.

I would go and see your gp soon if you can, it might save you trouble later on.

• Judith

THIRTY HOURS?? Kiddo, you must be delirious. Time for some Nyquil. As in, a whole bottle of it. You might just be stressed out; this time of year will do that to you with tests and finals and whatnot. You could have an anxiety disorder or something, too, if this has been going on as long as you say it has. Consider checking in to a sleep clinic when you have some down time. You may not necessarily get more sleep, but at least they'll pay you to not sleep.

check your blood sugar.