Jeska J asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 10 years ago

Keeping animals out of my garden pots?

Some animals come onto my porch and dig up my plants. Need to keep them out. I have sprayed a mixture of 2 types of soap, garlic and cayanne pepper around my garden area also I have attempted to cage off certain plants. The cageing has seemed to have helped. What else should I do?

• S1lent
    Best Answer

HI

Identify the animal that is invading the garden. Often the culprit isn't a dog at all, and may be a number of other stealthy critters. Although defense against dogs may be quite effective at keeping other animals at bay, it's best to understand the fauna surrounding the garden.

Step

2

Purchase a motion-activated light, sound or sprinkler system. This system is quite easy to install and is almost always an effective deterrent to small animals, including dogs. The light, sound or sprinkler is activated when the animal crosses the sensor's path and drives away the pest.

Step

3

Install a fencing system around your property or yard. Dogs love to dig, so use a deep-seated fencing solution. Height is also a consideration. If dogs are determined to get at a garden, it is not unheard of for them to actually climb a small fence.

Step

4

Spray or spread commercial dog repellent around the perimeter of the garden and yard. These repellents can be found at most garden retailers, such as Lowe's or Home Depot. Look for a product that can deter other small animals, as well as dogs.

Good luck

S1lent

To protect the soil from digging, get some pretty or regular rocks (get them at beach, or outdoors) or other heavy-ish waterproof items, and place them around the plant covering the soil in the pot.

Try mothballs. They are cheap and mammals hate the smell. Unfortunately so do humans, but hopefully you can live with that to save the plants.