Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

Can I pursue a career in Acting(Film) on the side while doing Univeristy?

Ok so I'm almost 15 but am already concerned and anxious about my future. I really want to, really NEED to have a career in acting in film, its my passion! I am serious about pursuing it and am not just some teenager who wants to be famous. I honestly can picture myself on a film set reciting lines while having a camera rolling. The words "Lights, Camera, Action!" are like a rush for me!

But the problems are:

My parents are not very supportive of me pursuing a career in such an unstable career path.

They are very serious about me becoming a doctor and going to medical school. They want my volunteer hours to be at hospitals and medical research centers. I'm worried that all this will overshadow my chances of acting because before i know it, I'll eventually be in medical school! I know that acting is not exactly a safe career and so I want to go to university but lets say i go to pre-medical school (B.A. in life sciences) in a big entertainment city(such as L.A.) will I still be able to get an agent and pursue my passion on the side? I know that the singer Jay Sean pursued singing on the side while at medical school(the real deal-i mean post grad!) but will practically speaking have the time and support of my parents?

I told my parents that if i go to uni. for med. I will have to pursue my passions on the side and they agreed but I don't know if they were really serious about it and will allow my to get an agent etc.

I currently do not have an agent either, there r no agencies in this city, but there is a modeling and acting one in a near by town (where i will soon be attending a private school), if i fill out a form for that agency i could possibly do a course there and get chosen by the agency and get an agent but of course only if my parents agree (mind that the courses/agent meetings will be at an agency that is an hour away)

Also, I feel that if i fill out an application for the agency my parents will feel that i am not serious about my studies, and will be distracted and delusional by signing up for an agency.

My parents are going to be sending me to one of the best private schools in the country (on my insisting as it is really a great school, and also in the back of mind i know that the agency is in that town!), so i think they will feel that i am wasting there money and that the real reason i wanted to go this school is just because i want to sign up at the agency in the same town. Do not get me wrong, I am serious about my studies, i have always gotten straight As and if my parents agree it get me an agent i will definitely do my best to make sure that my studies do not get negatively affected.I feel that there is an opportunity right in front of me and i need to take a chance at it but i need there approval.

I have written a lot, thanks for bearing with me, so basically i have two quesions :

1) Is it possible to pursue a career in acting on the side while doing a B.A. in life sciences?

2) How can i convince my parents to let me see if i have a chance with this agency, while assuring them that my academics will not be affected and i will not be distracted by all this and can still be serious about the goal of my attending a univeristy for pre-med?

Please no negative comments because I am really frustrated and at like only 15 years old feel that I am at a crossroad in life!

Thank you for your time and answers :) <3

Update May 3: Thanks to the ppl. who answered so far :)

Truthteller all you info. regarding various evening acting classes was quite helpful and I know that it will be difficult being at uni. and pursuing acting, but I think I may just be able to do it, since you also have completed different degrees than acting. I'm going to attend a Uni. in the LA area for sure though :) Thanks

RK: Thanks for your answer too, I don't think money and tuition will be a problem for my parents, I just need there support to do acting on the side :)

More answers still appreciated!

Favorite Answer

I'm an LA Actor who went to college and got degrees different from acting. So I'm giving you the REAL DEAL!

To be honest, it will be difficult to pursue acting seriously while taking school seriously.

Acting is a full-time thing. Most auditions in LA happen during 9-5pm and are VERY UNPREDICTABLE so trying to schedule acting jobs and auditions around your academic schedule is VERY difficult.

Also, a lot of the top LA Agencies are reluctant to sign people who are still in college because they usually can't make auditons or take jobs because of school.

What you can do while in college in LA:

-Southern California has some of the BEST film schools in the country (USC, Chapman, CSUN, Art Institute in Pasadena, etc.). Student films usually film during the weekends too. So you have chance to build your resume and reel with QUALITY films. By the time you're done with college, you'll definitely have an advantage.

-LA also has some of the BEST acting schools in the country as well. A lot of them happen during the evening, so if you don't have any night classes, you can fit these on top of your current schedule.

Here are some of the BEST acting schools in LA:

Cold Reading/Auditioning

-Margie Haber

-Annie Grindlay

-Robert D'Avanzo

-Brian Reise

-Amy Lyndon

Commercials

-Hey, I Saw Your Commercial!

-Chris Game

-Stuart K. Robinson

-Stuart Stone

-Killian McHugh

-Francine Selkirk-Akerman

-Carolyne Barry

Improv (All four are great)

-Groundlings

-Second City

-Upright Citizens Brigade

-Improv Olympic

Scene Study/Acting (It varies. Some schools are not for everyone. Chubbuck, Eric Morris, and Howard Fine are not for people who aren't fans of Strasberg or Uta Hagen (ie. affective memory and substitution.) Playhouse West, Joanne Baron/DW Brown, and Acting Corps are more Meisner oriented. Try to audit these places and make sure if they're for you or not.

-Doug Warhit

-Stephen Book

-Diana Castle

-Beverly Hills Playhouse

-Howard Fine

-Stella Adler

-Ivanna Chubbuck

-Joanne Baron/D.W. Brown

-Tom Todoroff

-Playhouse West

-Aaron Speiser

-Acting Corps

-Eric Morris

-Vinnie Guastaferro

Comedy:

-Scott Sedita

-Lesly Kahn

-Educate yourself. Being knowlegeable before jumping into serious acting will save you months and years.

READ (check Samuel French, libraries, and bookstores):

*=HIGHLY recommend

Acting business:

*Acting is Everything: Gold Edition-Judy Kerr

*How to Be a Working Actor-Mari Lyn Henry and Lynne Rogers

*Self Management for Actors-Bonnie Gillespie

-How to Get Arrested-J. Wallach Michael and Paul Thurwachter

*An Agent Tells All-Tony Martinez

-One Less Bitter Actor: The Actor's Survival Guide-Markus Flanagan

-So You Want to Be in Showbusiness?- Steve R. Stevens

-Acting Truths and Lies (purchased at www.info4actors.com)

Acting:

*Book the Job-Doug Warhit

*Intent to Live-Larry Moss

-Acting for the Camera-Tony Barr

-Acting in Film-Michael Caine

-Acting Class: Take a Seat-Milton Katselas

Method Acting:

*Art of Acting-Stella Adler

*Sanford Meisner on Acting-Sanford Meisner

*A Dream of Passion-Lee Strasberg

-Actor's Art and Craft-William Esper

-The Power of the Actor-Ivanna Chubbuck

-No Acting Please-Eric Morris

-Respect for Acting-Uta Hagen

-Challenge to the Actor-Uta Hagen

-You Can Act!-D.W. Brown

-Strasberg’s Method-Lorrie Hull

Comedy

-8 Characters of Comedy-Scott Sedita

-The Sitcom Career Book-Mary Lou Belli

Improv

-Anything by Viola Spolin

-Steve Book on Acting: Improv

Auditioning/Cold Reading:

*How to Get the Part Without Falling Apart-Margie Haber

*Audition-Michael Shurtleff

-Secrets to Successful Cold Readings-Glenn Alterman

I chose my career based upon the money it could bring in. To me money was an important factor since I had none. If money was not an issue, then I would have chosen something that was more enjoyable. My work is long and hard (some nights and weekends) and it takes away from family life. I personally could be happy doing many things, but when money is considered I went there to best provide for my family. My time for fun will come. In the meantime I am happy with my choice. I work hard and do a good job. Once money is not an issue, I will change jobs. I hope that this is clear enough.

• R K

first you have to be going to school where there are acting opportunities. if you are going

to school full time it will be difficult to per sue acting. acting is way too time consuming

and expensive to per sue as a hobby. you don't fill out a form to get an agent. you find

ones near you and the auditions that are taking new clients.you send them your head shot and resume, if they are interested

they will get back to you. you will need training,experience and a good resume before you

look for an agent. i assume your college is being taken care of by your parents. if they are

paying for your school they might not let you per sue acting, as i said it's very expensive

and very time consuming. most everything to do with acting will be during the week during the day.

so unless you have a very flexible school schedule this will be difficult if not impossible.