what is the difference between a 215/75r15 and 215/70r15 tire.?

• Micah
    Best Answer

the first number is the width of the tire (that is the part that touches the ground) the second number is the sidewall height (the part that is in between the rim and the ground) the last number is the size of the rim. the difference between a 75 and a 70 are not huge its just that the 70 will give you a more hard/sportier ride. but it may not even be noticable.

The 215/75r15 is a little taller. It has slightly taller sidewalls. Here's how it works. The number 215 is the section width of the tire in millimeters. The 75 is the the sidewall height compared to the section width expressed as a percentage. The R means radial. The 15 is the rim diameter. The 215/75r15 has a sidewall that is almost a half inch taller than the 215/70r15. The diameter of the tire is almost an inch more than the 215/70r15. The circumference is about 2.5 inches bigger. The tires are the same width. The 215/75r15 rotates slower than the 215/70r15 at the same speed.

215 75r 15

I went from a 225/75/R15 to a 225/70/R15 on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 cyl 5 speed Manual.I did notice that my speedometor shows a 5mph difference in the NEGATIVE. In other words the speedo reads 70, I'm going 65 (I checked it with 2 different Speedometor APPS on my Andriod to verify).

I also notice a small DECREASE in overall MPG as well and I am not sure why.

The first number is the width of the tread. The second is the width of the side wall. The third is your rim size. Therefore the answer to your question is basically the first will make the tire slightly taller than the other size.

Source(s): Used to work in a tire shop

the first one is a little wider.

"me again" is exactly correct