Does Microsoft still own a part of Apple or has Steve Jobs reneged on the deal signed in 1997?

I know that in 1997 Steve Jobs and Bill Gates signed a contract giving Microsoft a share of Apple computers. Since Apple has taken off and made money and has a substantial share it in the Computer and Phone market did Jobs re-neg on his deal with Microsoft? If not why hasn't he as we all know Bill Gates reneged on him the mid 1980's when he stole Apple's operating system.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Dori
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

From Apple's 2003 10-K stock filing:

"In August 1997, the Company [Apple] and Microsoft Corporation (Microsoft) entered into patent cross license and technology agreements. In addition, Microsoft purchased 150,000 shares of Apple Series A nonvoting convertible preferred stock ("preferred stock") for $150 million. These shares were convertible by Microsoft after August 5, 2000, into shares of the Company's common stock at a conversion price of $8.25 per share. During 2000, 74,250 shares of preferred stock were converted to 9 million shares of the Company's common stock. During 2001, the remaining 75,750 preferred shares were converted into 9.2 million shares of the Company's common stock."[1]

According to a blog (sorry, couldn't find any better documentation of this, but I haven't found anyone who doubts it, either):

"All 18.2 million shares were sold by Microsoft in 2003."[2]

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does Microsoft still own a part of Apple or has Steve Jobs reneged on the deal signed in 1997?

I know that in 1997 Steve Jobs and Bill Gates signed a contract giving Microsoft a share of Apple computers. Since Apple has taken off and made money and has a substantial share it in the Computer and Phone market did Jobs re-neg on his deal with Microsoft? If not why hasn't he as we all know...

Source(s): microsoft part apple steve jobs reneged deal signed 1997: https://shortly.im/MMrxh
  • 3 years ago

Microsoft Owns Part Of Apple

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I can say that I have never liked an Apple products, and have actually been completely against Apple and everything they stood for. While my opinions of this company may not have been the most sincere or correct, I am saddened by the loss of such an amazing person in this world. I'm thankful for everything he has brought to this world and the lives he has touched. Rest in peace Steve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Janet
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av0H5

I am windows user and I think its sad that Steve Jobs has passed, even if I am not a huge proponent of Mac and OSX I still see it's greatness and benefits and Steve Jobs made that happen. I am a windows users that in the last two years has bought two iPad and a Macbook Pro because they were the best products envisioned by a man and a group that made them happen and made them awesome. So as a Windows user, Id say not all of us are being poor sports.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.