Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

depressed after abortion, what do I do now?

I had an abortion 2 days ago, and I just feel horrible mentally and emotionally. I am so sad, all I think about is the abortion. It was the worst experience EVER! I know it was the right thing to do, considering the situation. But I cant help but think of all the 'what ifs'. Huh, I dnt know what I am going to do. Please don't judge me...I don't know how I'm going to live with myself.

Favorite Answer

You have no reason to feel depressed, sounds like you're just feeling guilty because of the what ifs that are flooding your mind. With many of the other replies there are what ifs in everything. What if...you had the child and realized what a miserable mistake it was and you resent that child every day of it's life and it grows up unloved and unwanted in what's already such a hard world. What if you had continued the pregnancy and later you found out it had a severe birth defect that was going to cause it to be a still born because it hadn't properly developed. There's so many "what ifs" I could continue to list. But know that the depression you are experiencing is probably caused by hormones that can remain in your body for up to 6 weeks after the termination. Depression associated with abortions is as common as depression related to that of child birth. Women have abortions for many reasons and few feel regrets, you have to hold tight to your reasons for the termination and know it was the RIGHT decision for you at the time. Below is a link that have some very helpful and inspiring abortion stories. Good luck and feel better.

Source(s): www.imnotsorry.net

I'm confident that if you chose abortion, it was for a good reason. You shouldn't have to feel bad about it. A woman should feel bad for having children when she can't properly take care of them or give them the love they deserve. Not for preventing a situation like that.

As for the "what if's"...there are always going to be "what if's" in life. Think about simple decisions you make every day...If you drive, I'm sure there's been times when large trucks passed by you. What if one of those trucks accidentally swerved into your lane and hit you? You can turn virtually any situation in life into a "what if".

What if your pregnancy would have ended suddenly in a miscarriage because it wasn't developing properly? That's always possible in any pregnancy. You'll never know if that would have happened, but doesn't that make it a "what if"?

And I don't know your situation, but if it's money related...what if you kept the pregnancy and had a baby later this year, but you couldn't afford to buy things it needs? Or if you just weren't ready to be a mother...what if you'd had a baby and weren't sure how to properly take care of it, and you ended up harming it in some way?

You can't let "what if's" rule your life. There are so many of them all the time that they would drive you crazy if you let them! You can't take back what you did, but you can learn from it. You just have to think positive, and remember that you did what you did because it was your best option at the time.

Well, i had one too a couple years back for reasons of my own, and it was hard. There's all the "what ifs" but you can't keep doing that to yourself, because even if you have a lot of "what if's" it's already been done. You just need to remember why you did it in the first place, and know that's what was right for you at the time. Don't listen to any on here if they critisize you...they aren't you! Just know that it will get easier, and when the time is right, you will have your baby. If it get's really bad on you, go see your doctor, and maybe they can help with your depression/anxiety. Talk about it to friends if you can. Just remember why you did it in the first place :)

I have had one. And I felt the same. I cried myself to sleep for a couple days after, and I was really depressed. But as time goes on, the pain fades. I have never forgotten and sometimes I even think what if... but as cruel as it sounds, life does go on. And it starts to get easier. Where you got the abortion done should have counseling and such for you to use. You should have to go back for a visit to make sure that everything happened like it was supposed to, and they will ask you how you are feeling emotionally. I would let them know how you are feeling if you are not better. But I pray that your pain is eased and that you find peace with your decision. You had your reasons for doing this, and everything happens for a reason... it was what was meant to happen, and again I pray that soon you will see this. Good luck!

whats done is done thats what you have to think you had the abortion so you just have to move on, i dont agree with abortions but you have had it done so there is no turning back from this, you made the choice and you know have to live with the consequence of it

Source(s): surro mum and TTC own baby 5DPO period Due Sunday 9th May
    • meg3 weeks agoReport

You are a horrible person. Shame on you.

• Serena

You are not alone here. Many women have been there and felt that way. I suggest visiting a post-abortion counseling type site such as http://www.safehavenministries.com/

All the best. :)

You feel guilty. That's why you're depressed.You made a decision, right or wrong, you have to learn to deal with it, if you can't rely on friends and family, maybe you need some professional help.

I think some grief counseling would help. Hospice has it. You need to mourn your loss, and it is a loss, so call today and make an appointment.

I am so sad that you had to make such a traumatic decision. It is really hard to do this, and I hope you find it possible to forgive yourself.

its hormones too - your body still thinks its pregnant,

i dont agree with abortion at all and sadly the way you are feeling is in itself punishment for murder, sorry but we all have to live with consequences of our actions

however, it is early days and chances are you will always regret this time is a healer and it will become easier.

you will feel like that for a while, im sure it will pass, as it was only 2 days ago