Difference between Daoism/Taoism and Buddhism?

I know I could ask this in the religion and spirituality section, but I thought I'd ask it here. I've been studying Buddhism for about a year now and I feel like I am nowhere close to understanding it, especially when I see how Buddhism is practiced in the West versus how it is practiced in China.... show more I know I could ask this in the religion and spirituality section, but I thought I'd ask it here. I've been studying Buddhism for about a year now and I feel like I am nowhere close to understanding it, especially when I see how Buddhism is practiced in the West versus how it is practiced in China.

Yesterday, I went to a well-known "mountain" in our city. It's a Daoist mountain, filled with temples and statues. On the surface, it looks very similar to Buddhism, but as I start reading, I can see small, but subtle differences.

Both began about the same time period (6th century BC), but in different parts of Asia.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either religion?