TBI vs TPI in a 350, what are the benifits?

Well i have a 1990 gmc sierra that has a chevy 350 small block, and it currently has a TBI system (stock) that i am going to fix up by getting new parts. Eventually i want to open up my engine and turn it into a 383 complete with all new parts (as long as my block is still good). Now i want to get a new fuel injection system for the engine that will fit both setups but i dont know what would be better.

Ive just heard about the TPI system and dont know anything about it much, but ive heard it might be better than using a TBI.

Well to get down to it, what are the benifits of the TBI and TPI systems, and which would would be a better route to go?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

TBI is simple and reliable. Its definitely not the most fuel efficient or powerful system out there, but it won't let you down. If it breaks, its pretty easy to fix. You have 2 injectors that mist fuel into the throttlebody where the intake manifold basically pipes the fuel and air into the cylinders from there.

TPI is much more complex and it relies on a few more sensors to run properly. You have as many injectors as you do cylinders. The theory is that as each cylinder needs fuel, it gets its own personal mist of fuel from its injector, therefore allowing for better fuel consumption and better milage. Acceleration and power theoretically should be higher than a TBI system as well.

Converting a TBI system to a TPI system has been done lots, but it is quite a process. There is different wiring involved, a different computer, different intake manifold, different air filter system. Etc. You pretty much want a TPI doaner vehicle nearby unless you want to invest some mega bucks into this project.

Good luck!

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

TBI vs TPI in a 350, what are the benifits?

Well i have a 1990 gmc sierra that has a chevy 350 small block, and it currently has a TBI system (stock) that i am going to fix up by getting new parts. Eventually i want to open up my engine and turn it into a 383 complete with all new parts (as long as my block is still good). Now i want to get...

Source(s): tbi tpi 350 benifits: https://bitly.im/k0wGv
  • yaeger
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Tbi To Tpi

• 10 years ago

The TBI (Throttle Body Injection) is basically a big carb with two big injectors inside that inject fuel. The TPI (Tuned Port Injection) is a sequential Injection that injects fuel into Each cylinder allowing better tuning (providing a good ECU), and allowing you to inject more fuel more precisely.

I would go with the TPI if you want to stay with Fuel injection.... of course there are always carbs....

Source(s): I'm a mechanic.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Its exactly the same in the UK - our benefit system is being abused by the same group of people you have discribed in 'your welfare system'. The abuse going on in the UK has been happening since forever and its now out of control - the governments just letting it continue and no attempt by them too sort it out. The benefit system (covering a whole range of help for the public) was introduced all those years ago 'soley for the use' by people who have fallen on hard times through no fault of there own. But the scammers were quick too see the 'loop-holes' in the system and worked the system too there advantage - and it still carrys on today. A good system with good intentions ruined by people abuseing it. The politicians won't get too grips with it as it has now become a 'hot potato' in their voting plans and they worry about the loss of there % of votes - little realising that all of the 'working public (who fund this system) want it sorted out' and it would be a vote winner - as most of benefit claimers don't vote anyway.!! The UK government is quite prepared too allow this to happen useing the working 'taxpayers contributions' too fund these types of people who are abusing this system rather than 'rock the boat' - it just beggers belief that the governments take no action at all on this 'bankcrupting fiasco' .........as will happen in time.!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.