Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Is an Alaskan Malamute a good pet for a 23 year old college student in Georgia?

I'll be living in a huge 5 bedroom house next year and was thinking of fostering a 5 year old, house trained Alaskan Malamute from a kill shelter. I love dogs and exercise (running) quite a bit, but I really dont' have enough hands on experience with the breed to know if I might be doing a bad thing. Any experienced dog people have any advice?

Favorite Answer

Alaskan Malamutes are not made for the southern weather, you better have good air conditioning during the summer months because summers in the deep south are brutal.

As for you, they are not good dogs for students because generally they require a lot of attention and if they don't get that attention they get mad. I currently own an Alaskan Malamute and it can be a pain when it does not get the attention, I have a family helping me take care of it and it hates other dogs. It gets along well with my White Shepherd Dog but most of the times we still separate them.

They require a lot of grooming and are picky eaters as I have noticed, they also grow attached to you, if you ignore them, they will find ways to get your attention, just not ways you want them to get your attention. I don't recommend it because the weather down south will be punishing for that dog.

If you have the air conditioning to help the dog out and feel that you can spend quite a bit of time with it or have your friends/family take care of it while you are gone, then get it. But generally, they do require more exercise and attention than the average dog.

Edit: What 4 accounts Kaper? THIS is my only account and Vagger Lance is a friend of mines who I actually know in real life. He has his own account, both of us own dogs and I have too busy of a schedule to waste too much time on this site.

As for your claims, I am not winning this, you have your clique on this section and so be it. I have my favorite breed as pets and I am not coming back here, you have issues, you need a better hobby and a busier life. So you won't be so stuck on stopping people from getting dogs they want, you didn't stop me.

Source(s): Own an Alaskan Malamute and a White Shepherd Dog, the Alaskan Malamute being my second dog, go it 2 months after I got my White Shepherd Dog.

Why not try fostering give a chance to see if the Breed is okay for you? Fostering is kinda like looking after a pet that isn't neccessarily your but you could keep it if it works out for you.

Temperament:

Malamutes are lively, tolerant and friendly dogs but should be carefully watched around cats and small dogs. In fact they really shouldn’t be raised in a family with small animals. Malamute puppies and adolescents require early obedience training because they turn into powerful and strong willed adult dogs who want to rule the household. This breed, while family friendly, should be supervised around small children. The Malamutes are not particularly good guard dogs or watch dogs as they are friendly to all strangers. The Malamutes love to please their owner and can be trained to be well mannered. The Alaskan requires a lot of attention, especially in the first two years otherwise it can turn destructive when bored. These dogs should have an experienced dog owner because of the need for firm handling and thorough obedience training.

Exercise:

This breed requires a lot of outdoor exercise and is not suited for apartment or even small yard living. The Malamutes don’t like excessive heat or humidity and require the run of a large yard for living space.

Grooming:

Alaskans blow or lose their thick undercoat in the spring and summer and if possible should be professionally trimmed. Their coat should be brushed at least once and preferably twice per week. Regular bathing is unnecessary as the malamutes coat sheds dirt readily and the dog is clean and has little odour.

Health Issues:

The breed has a lifespan of 10 to 14 years and are generally very hardy dogs. The Alaskans can suffer from hip dysplasia and eye problems

Malamutes don't do extreme heat real well, so unless you jog early morning or later in the evening, you should leave the dog home.

Malamutes require an obscene amount of exercise. Many people don't realize this, and forget that they are a heavy duty working dog with a very, very high energy level and working drive. They are destructive and can be aggressive when bored. If you can sufficiently exercise the dog and keep him reasonably cool then it should be okay.

Remember they are a fairly dominant, stubborn breed. It's a necessary trait for the kind of work they were bred for, but not exactly a good trait if you're not familiar with the breed. You have to be a gentle but firm, confident leader or the dog will likely walk all over you. Huskies, malamutes, and most nordic/spitz breeds in general are like this, they take advantage of you if they can get away with it :P

Normally I would say no, but sine you're just fostering, which means he isn't yours, and he's from a kill shelter, I'd say go for it. Any discomfort the dog may feel is outweighed by the fact you are saving its life. Besides, there are things you can do to alleviate some of the discomfort.

For one thing, get him groomed. Even though it's not a good idea, look into having his 1/4 - 1/2" shaved off of his coat.

Keep him inside during the day (preferably on either the first floor or in the basement). Make certain the blinds are drawn, and the fan or air conditioner is on. Put lots of ice cubes in his water, or better yet, fill one bowl with nothing but ice cubes.

Take him out early in the morning (around 5ish) before the temperature climbs and around 10 pm at night.

At 5 years of age, he should be housebroken and well past the chewing stage, so you don't have to put him in a crate, but just to be on the safe side, I'd confine him to a "dog proof" room until you see what he does.

Never trust him off leash, and try a Gentle Leader instead of a regular collar to minimize his pulling you off your feet.

ETA: Don't forget to put out fliers and take him to pet stores to show him off. You might want to make an Adopt Me bandanna that he can wear every time you take him out.

The average length of time for fostering a dog is around 8 weeks.

I think it would be a very big mistake.

Taking care of a dog is very difficult when you are in college both in time and money requirements. A dog of that breed can be a real challenge, and could cost a terrible amount of damage to a rental property. Have you even asked the owner of the property if you are allowed to have a dog? Many places do not allow them.

You have your whole life to have dogs - your best bet is to wait until you are done with college and you are in a better position to care for one.

• bailey

I had a chocolate labrador that literally wouldn't shut up. Since I found http://OnlineDogTraining.enle.info/?SYN4

She was 4 years old, we had our son and her barking was keeping him up at night. So my grandfather told me take a soda can put some change in it and tape the lid shut (I used duct-tape). Every time she barked I would shake the can and say quiet in a stearn voice. The sound startled her into stop barking then she heard my command. It took about a week and she stopped. You must not allow the dog to bark at all though. If you do then they will do it when they are not supposed to ie, when your not home. As far as for when your not home, I think the only none electrical, spray thing I can think of is a soft mussel. They can drink with the soft mussel on and it doesn't hurt them, they just can't bark or bite. From what I understand it is very hard to get a dog to stop barking at an advanced age. You are trying to stop something that is ingrained in them to do. Now a few questions for you, are the dogs being crate trained? If they are crated trying put a light blanket over the crate, to limit the stimuli around them. Do they have access to windows? What is the reason they are barking? Maybe it is something in there surroundings causing them to bark. Maybe people talking, people walking by, animals outside. If this is the case then maybe try limiting there access to this stimuli. Maybe crating them in a secluded area of the house to limit stimuli. Make it so they cannot see out the window any more. If it is seperation anxiety, take an old t-shirt sleep in for a night and then put it in the dogs crate with him. It will smell like you and help the dog feel more at ease. I did this when I went away to the hospital to have our son. It helped Kaylea alot.These are all thing my grandfather suggested to me for my dog. I tried them all but the crate training as I don't really believe in it. Reducing the stimuli greatly reduced her barking. The only thing that stopped it was the "noise can" I called it

Hi,

Not recommended for the first time dog owner as their intelligence combined with stubbornness can make them a challenge for someone not savvy in dog behavior. Here are more info:

http://lnk.nu/dogtime.com/t4z.html

• HM

Well, he better have central air. But if he's attuned to the dog's needs, I don't see why not. He should educate himself on the dangers of heatstroke. My lab got heat stroke in the summer once, and I live in Washington state.

Unless you plan on running at night, I think a Malemute is not a good choice in the South. You can't run him during the day; he'd die of heatstroke. In the summertime, you won't be able to run with him at all.

If you want a running partner, adopt a retired racing Greyhound. They like heat, they make great housedogs, and they will trot alongside you. If you're a marathoner, consider a Rhodesian Ridgeback; they are, as Animal Planet described them, "the Navy SEALS of dogdom."

• 12345

You should get a Golden retriever.

But then Barrett, Mital and Legend of Vagger Lance all post questions continously about wanting Samoyeds, Malamutes and other breeds "not recommended for a first time owner" and state they do not want a Golden Retriever.

--------------

And, he blocks me, as he does every time I call him on it.

(Td's from all 4 accounts)