Is it a violation of my rights for police to ask for my license and registration if I'm pulled over?

Of course not, so why is a violation of your rights if you're asked to show proof of citizenship? Immigrants are required by law to always carry their green card as proof of citizenship, just as drivers are required to carry their license, proof of insurance and registration. I understand that many fear... show more Of course not, so why is a violation of your rights if you're asked to show proof of citizenship? Immigrants are required by law to always carry their green card as proof of citizenship, just as drivers are required to carry their license, proof of insurance and registration.

I understand that many fear that Hispanics will be singled out, and it's foolish to deny it probably will happen sometimes, but the law has been rewritten to prevent racial profiling.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article...
Update: The changes I'm referring to throw out cases deemed to be the result of racial profiling "The attorney general or county attorney shall not investigate complaints that are based solely on race, color or national origin." They also cannot be stopped just because they are Hispanic or suspected to be... show more The changes I'm referring to throw out cases deemed to be the result of racial profiling "The attorney general or county attorney shall not investigate complaints that are based solely on race, color or national origin." They also cannot be stopped just because they are Hispanic or suspected to be illegal; a "lawful stop, detention or arrest" must be established before they can request proof of citizenship. I do not believe it violates the 4th Amendment, which only protects against "unreasonable" search and seizure. If the police find sufficient reason to suspect someone they're detaining might be illegal, they should have the right to request proof of citizenship.